The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, its been quite awhile since I last posted here...In fact the last time the site says I visited was 5-30-2003:eek:

Anyway, Im coming back to freshwater planted tanks, as many things have changed in the past 4 years, and I have gotten out of saltwater........for now.

Im going to begin setting up a freshwater planted tank in a 46g Bowfront. This bowfront has held saltwater(just salt and water) in it for the last year awaiting the funds to stock it. It has never materialized. So Im gonna just convert to fresh for now to get something in it. I already have a Tek T5 light that contains 4 39w bulbs. I will have to replace some bulbs as it does have some actinics. But 1 bulb is a 10k, along with a 6700k I believe. I also have a fluval 304 canister that will be going on the tank for filtration. I also already have a co2 regulator and solonoid, along with a tank, and reactor, just need the airline to hook it all up. Which I will do so.

What types of plants am I going to be able to have with this setup? I havent decided on fish for this tank, so any suggestions there are welcome. I figure Im about a month away on setting this up as I do want to get a controller for the CO2 so I dont have to worry about it to much.

Anyone got any suggestions, concerns, tips, comments, or complaints?:red_mouth

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
lol joined date 2002 that was so long ago WEll welcome back im surprised that last time you visited was 2003..it must be need a long time

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi mariner, back from the sea? Shall be seeing you, we never met, I am a garrulous hunter back from the hills. Lets splash some fresh water around!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You'll be able to grow most anything, depending upon your water parms. Lower KH is necessary with Toninas and Eriocaulons, but other than that, most plants for sure. With that light, even HC, albeit slowly.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have one question...do yall that inject co2 generally leave the glass cover off the tank? or do you leave it on? If I leave it on, would it be wise to hook up an air pump and filter at night to compensate for the lower oxygen levels? Also whats all the new rave in substrate? I know flourite is some good stuff, but last time I used it I kinda got sick of washing it all, so I didnt and well you know the rest. I saw some new stuff eco complete? I think it is....I like the color of it. Do you add anything below this? I was thinking of adding a layer of peat moss, then laterite, and then adding this eco complete stuff on top..

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Keep the peat pretty thin, but it would be good with some Eco as Eco tends to be pretty hard for a while, IME. I do like the look of Eco, but flourite is great if rinsed enough. I rinse it with a 5 gallon bucket and a garden hose stuck in there for a while.

I like topless tanks. Easier that way since we're always messing with the plants.

If the CO2 gas is on a controler, no worries on the fish, especially if the spraybar is pushing a little water ripple on top. If you cover your tank, I would keep an airstone going pm. If open top, no worries. If not using the pH controler with the regulator and solenoid, but only as a pH monitor, its good to have an airstone on the ready - as I have repeatedly had some close calls with CO2 overdose lately... with Aqua Soil and low pH. and a needle valve which is kind of in consistent. And that's during the day as the gas starts on 2 hours before lights and off at lights out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts