The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out with a 10g planted tank about 13 years or so ago in college. Since this my hobby evolved into large cichlids, breeding them, oddball fish like bichirs and datnoids, then on to saltwater where I’ve had tanks since 2011.

I currently have a 20g mixed reef right now. I had an ADA 30W sitting around and I wanted another betta so I just started it up this weekend. It has an aqua clear 20 and a piece of driftwood in it while I look for a light and soil. I’m trying to source a nice half moon betta for the tank. I plan on doing some easy plants like java ferns and some moss on the wood. I’ll start a build thread soon once I find a light and soil. I will most likely move it away from the reef since so much light spills over.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That's a neat looking saltwater tank setup! Is that a 'step' in the tank itself?

·
snails are your friend
3,024 Posts
Not OP obviously, but I believe so. Can't remember who makes that one though.

My only advice for now would be to soak that spider wood in a bucket of fresh water for as long as you can before putting it in the tank. I've gotten some that took many weeks before it quit sloughing off bacteria from leeching sugars. You can get most of the behind you by soaking it beforehand, and it doesn't soften the wood like boiling can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a neat looking saltwater tank setup! Is that a 'step' in the tank itself?
Thanks. Yes it’s a drop off tank from Innovative Marine. It’s very cool but not very practical. It’s difficult getting flow in the low part

Not OP obviously, but I believe so. Can't remember who makes that one though.

My only advice for now would be to soak that spider wood in a bucket of fresh water for as long as you can before putting it in the tank. I've gotten some that took many weeks before it quit sloughing off bacteria from leeching sugars. You can get most of the behind you by soaking it beforehand, and it doesn't soften the wood like boiling can.
Yeah I didn’t do anything to it and it had a bacterial bloom. I’ll prolly do a 100% water change this week and take the wood and boil it when I get my IAL in. I’m using RODI water so it’ll pretty much be a fresh start.

·
snails are your friend
3,024 Posts
I was suggesting to soak it and not boil. Boiling can soften (which will shorten the life of) the wood by breaking down the fiber strength, at least that is how it was explained to me. Whereas soaking can achieve the goal of getting the sugars out just as well as boiling, it just takes longer. Having said that, I have wood that has been in my aquariums for over 20 years submerged that's still solid and I can't recall any pieces in having just rotted and failed in the aquarium so I'm skeptical that this is a major issue anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was suggesting to soak it and not boil. Boiling can soften (which will shorten the life of) the wood by breaking down the fiber strength, at least that is how it was explained to me. Whereas soaking can achieve the goal of getting the sugars out just as well as boiling, it just takes longer. Having said that, I have wood that has been in my aquariums for over 20 years submerged that's still solid and I can't recall any pieces in having just rotted and failed in the aquarium so I'm skeptical that this is a major issue anyway.
Thanks. It’s been in the tank for about a week now so I’ll do a WC probably tomorrow.

I picked up some black flourite sand today and will add that and some filter floss to the hob when I do the water change. I bough a cheap small led off amazon that should be here tomorrow soon. Just need to find a fish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts