The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was digging around in the attic and found an old 20g tall tank and stand. My wife said "Oh that'd be fun with the kids!". So I got it out and I'm in reboot mode.
Once upon a time, I had a planted low tech 55g with a satellite plus pro turned way down, so I'm not a stranger to the hobby. That said, a lot has changed.
What are some recommendations for a 20g tall that are solid lights? I'm not looking for high tech now but might want to have something that has that capability in the future. Hit me up with some suggestions that I can research and any other questions that I can answer.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just a quick comment before you start to invest. I have a tall tank (46g acrylic) and tall tanks are just hard for planted tanks. I also have a low iron 10g which is a joy to work with in comparison.

Unless the tank is stellar, or really fits well from an interior design perspective, I would suggest replacing it with a more suitable form factor. PetCo has 1$ / gallon sales for the basic tanks pretty regularly and also puts their low iron tanks on sale. And I would look at craigslist, ...

I have a NICREW Classic led plus on my 10g and it is pretty good for the price. I wired a cheap wifi led controller in, so I can integrate it with Alexa and timer/dimmer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a quick comment before you start to invest. I have a tall tank (46g acrylic) and tall tanks are just hard for planted tanks. I also have a low iron 10g which is a joy to work with in comparison.

Unless the tank is stellar, or really fits well from an interior design perspective, I would suggest replacing it with a more suitable form factor. PetCo has 1$ / gallon sales for the basic tanks pretty regularly and also puts their low iron tanks on sale. And I would look at craigslist, ...

I have a NICREW Classic led plus on my 10g and it is pretty good for the price. I wired a cheap wifi led controller in, so I can integrate it with Alexa and timer/dimmer.
I appreciate that foresite about deeper tanks. However, I already have this 20g on hand as well as a stand for it. It also fits well in the spot my wife wanted to put it.

I'm thinking about the Finnex planted+ 24/7 ALC. It will allow me some fine tuning, if you will. Looks similar to the Current satellite plus pro i had years ago. Obviously, ill have to turn the intensity and photo period down until I can get good growth out of the flora.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I appreciate that foresite about deeper tanks. However, I already have this 20g on hand as well as a stand for it. It also fits well in the spot my wife wanted to put it.

I'm thinking about the Finnex planted+ 24/7 ALC. It will allow me some fine tuning, if you will. Looks similar to the Current satellite plus pro i had years ago. Obviously, ill have to turn the intensity and photo period down until I can get good growth out of the flora.

I currently have 2 of these lights on my 75 gal. Good solid light, I have only had them on for a couple months, but man it can grow plants! cranking down the intensity is not a problem either once you get the hang of the remote. Each channel can be modified independently of each other, so you can dial in what you think looks best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts