The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I looked in my tank and saw a second berried female! :) but now my questions is. What should I feed the baby shrimp when they are born? I have a big thing of java moss in the tank. I the java moss good enough?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Depending on the shrimp you have, they may not survive. I believe amanos and alot of ghost shrimp need brackish water to survive. Top it off they have a larval stage where they are free floating and easy pray to any fish. Now cherry shrimp, I don't change anything they find enough in the mosses and biofilm to eat for me. So which type of shrimp are you talking about?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are the orange sunkist ones from speedie. He said they do breed in freshwater. So I'm guessing they are the orange Sakura...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the orange ones in a tank of their own. My dish and other shrimp are in a separate tank

·
Registered
447 Posts
I feed JBL Nobil fluid. It's a mix made out of artemia nauplii and other *small* components which help shrimp brood. I have a batch of Rili shrimplets that grew quite well with this stuff. I had several berried Ghost shrimp females but the larvae didn't survived with this stuff put in the tank twice a day, in the morning and evening.

I saw the larvae floating in the water but I assume they died. The shrimp were not interested in them and I assume they weren't eaten.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
There are so many variations of orange shrimp between Cardinia and neocardinia. If Nick says they will breed, they will.

In my experience, you don't have to feed anything special to get neocardinia shrimp to reproduce.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
I feed JBL Nobil fluid. It's a mix made out of artemia nauplii and other *small* components which help shrimp brood. I have a batch of Rili shrimplets that grew quite well with this stuff. I had several berried Ghost shrimp females but the larvae didn't survived with this stuff put in the tank twice a day, in the morning and evening.

I saw the larvae floating in the water but I assume they died. The shrimp were not interested in them and I assume they weren't eaten.
Most ghost shrimp aren't freshwater, although there are a few species that complete their life cycles in FW.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe they are neos as they resemble my cherry just differemt color lol. I was just wanting to know what I should feed them as shrimplets. ATM I feed the big ones blanched spinach and algae wafers, I feed them one or the other once a week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
They are the orange sunkist ones from speedie. He said they do breed in freshwater. So I'm guessing they are the orange Sakura...
Ive seen speedie sell orange neos. So im assuming thats what you have. You could get baby food, I'd recommend ebiken EI. However Ive had babies survive with no food and regular food. I'd recommend veggie sticks as some kind since they brake off into smaller particles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.