The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.5 gallon cherry shrimp tank that is about 3 months old. Tonight I noticed this weird little creature in there and I am wondering what it is. It looks kind of similar to the shrimp but, it is really small, see through with a blue hue and unless its swimming it has a curled up tail section. It also doesn't seem to have the long nose like my other shrimp.

Is this typical of a cherry shrimp baby?

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
That sounds like Hyella azteca, or the mexican amphipod. They are common hitchhikers on live plants, especially mosses. The consensus is that they're harmless, though I've heard accounts of them munching on tender young plants. Fish will eat them, but in a shrimp tank you're probably stuck with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 1.5 gallon cherry shrimp tank that is about 3 months old. Tonight I noticed this weird little creature in there and I am wondering what it is. It looks kind of similar to the shrimp but, it is really small, see through with a blue hue and unless its swimming it has a curled up tail section. It also doesn't seem to have the long nose like my other shrimp.

Is this typical of a cherry shrimp baby?
Hang on, it really could be a baby, look closer wth a magnifying glass bro. On the first day, they don't look exactly like the parents. Give it a few days to develope.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the responses, the scud does seem possible. It's just weird because the tank hasn't had anything new added to it since about a week into it. The only thing I could think of was this weird little slug looking thing that moseyed around a rock I had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts