The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems that most of my female shrimp are berried, and I have 100's of babies. but sometimes I see a baby thats floating and looks 3/4's dead. just wondering how many make it out of 20 or 30 babies

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I was curious about this too. With the cherries, they seem to be fine but curious with crystals, how many eggs/newborn/baby/juvi/adult you would end up with. Is something like 20/16/14/10/8 a reasonable batch or something?

Just curious with my crystals and watching them, how many juvi's should I expect to see after a momma has dumped her eggs.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It depends on the Species and how much you're doing to make sure the parameters are correct. I've had about a 95% fatality rate with my crystal shrimplets(been trying to fix that over the last two weeks) but only around a 5% fatality rate(AT MOST) with cherries in the same tank. A fully adult female shrimp(caridina/neo) with a full clutch should hatch around 20-40 shrimplets.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I"m with you in the 5% crystal, 95% cherry. lol. Cherry babies everywhere, crystals I see them here and there and say at least 4 at once last night, but don't know how many more there is in there.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Anything over 50%. Some die because they are weak. But I have had clutches with 90% too, that takes more involved work though

That's for crs though, if you have a 50 percent survival rate on cherries, something is dreadfully wrong

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Anything over 50%. Some die because they are weak. But I have had clutches with 90% too, that takes more involved work though

That's for crs though, if you have a 50 percent survival rate on cherries, something is dreadfully wrong
lol No cherries are breeding like nuts, and I see some crystal babies, just not sure how many ever at once as they hide in the dw, moss, etc. Would it be advisable to have a baby tank and take out babies when you see them, then you know, i added 18 babies to this tank, 4 adults, something wrong, I added 18 babies, 14 adults, something right. I guess that involves making sure both tanks are exact same conditions though too or you'd never know.

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
My survival rate isn't great so far, but I'm only on clutch 3 ever, so the fact that I have any CBS babies making it makes me pretty happy. The water params are dead on perfect and the temp is a solid 71, so I don't know why the rate isn't higher (it's likely I do over feed though).

·
Registered
536 Posts
i have an internal breeder box, and im expecting my first batch of CRS babies this weekend to hatch. the berried female is in the breeder box and will hatch her eggs in there, then i will remove her and have just the babies in there, i will be able to keep an eye on all of the babies and keep the water params exactly the same as in the tank.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have an internal breeder box, and im expecting my first batch of CRS babies this weekend to hatch. the berried female is in the breeder box and will hatch her eggs in there, then i will remove her and have just the babies in there, i will be able to keep an eye on all of the babies and keep the water params exactly the same as in the tank.
what do you keep in the breeder box? just moss? wouldnt it be better to have them in the tank? I mean isnt there more "stuff" in the regular tank to eat?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.