The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that dont know, im pregnant with my first :) Currently 11 weeks 2 days.
I know its a long way off but I would like to do something ive thought about since way way before i was pregnant.

Instead of buying a nightlight and a humidifier for the babys room I would like to put either my 20gal or my 10gal in the babys room. I love the idea because it can double as what i just mentioned and when the baby is older they can watch fishy swim by.

I have family members who are very against the idea because they think fish tanks stink. They say when you walk into a pet store theres that smell which cant be good for baby. My tanks in my house dont smell at all. My dog is another story but no worries from my tanks, even they said so. They are worried and i understand.
I would like to have some more opinions and any other info if you know anything about fish tanks in kids rooms.

If consensus is that its fine I was thinking of a hardy very easy matinance tank and fish. Probably 1 or 2 goldfish because they get larger and so are easy for the baby to see and colourful. I was also thinking about feeder guppies (cheap) or white clouds (cheap sometimes because feeders). Any other suggestions??

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Congrats on the baby!!!!!

I would stay away from goldfish b/c 1) most species get too large for tanks smaller than 55gal, 2) they're messy fish and out of any fish WOULD encourage "tank-stinky-ness" 3) shouldn't be mixed with "tropicals" such as guppies, etc because both of their waste production and goldfish are not tropical fish and need to be kept at much cooler temperatures than tropical fish.

HOWEVER - I think a tank with guppies and/or white clouds would be a great idea.

Tanks only smell when they aren't properly maintained.

If you get a canister filter and run Purigen in this filter, you should never have any discernable odor at all. I have noticed that HOB filters can start to smell when it's time to change the pads.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU :) This is a bitter sweet pregnancy because my dad recently passed away and i really wanted him to tell his stories and play with his grand kids. I really wanted pics of him with my kids.

sorry if i wasent clear. I did not want to add goldfish with guppies and/or whiteclouds. It would have been one of the 3 groups.

anyone else have opinions. I would really like to know.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had a tank in my daughter's room and it was fine. She loved to lay and watch the fish. (THis is what I did as a kid too -- I think it's relaxing)

When she got to age 3, she chose her own fish--goldfish. They fit fine in the tank and, with filtration, the extra mess everyone always mentions as a discouragement was not an issue. :D

What was an issue was the heater that hung on the tank. After about one year, I guess she wondered what the knob did. She turned it all the way up and cooked the goldfish! EWWWW talk about smell!

Congrats on your baby. Kids are awesome.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
any bacterial issues in a fish tank like kitty litter for pregnant women?

fancy guppies should be easy to take care of.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope there arent any tank issues like kitty litter for prego chickas because ive had my hands in the tank quite a few times.

And dindin yes thats why im really considering cool water tanks just because of the heater issue. Ive had broken heaters that cooked my fish before and the smell is def noticable. Yuck. Not to mention an electrocution risk.

Ive been reading up on goldfish because i remember the rule was 10gal per goldfish and i wanted to re check that. Well turns out its now 20gals for the first goldfish and then 10 gals for every other goldfish after that SOoooo if i go with my 20 gal and decide on a goldfish it would only be 1 fish. Meh cheaper for me lol.
guppies are really nice too and i used to breed them (not that hard) for sale at the lfs. I kept getting blacks when i was trying for blue cobras. The bodies were right but the tails were off.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
The problem with goldies are that they are messy and they grow fairly big. I think for them the 6 square inch of tank surface per inch of fish is a better rule.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts