The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to my surprise a couple weeks ago I was taking the gravel out of my 29gal tank so I could take it all back to State, something very small in my gravel was moving. at this point I had had already taken out the fish and dropped the water level just above the gravel and had started removing gravel. To my surprise there were 2 baby platys, I was then like, "whoa when did the female give birth?" so my girlfriend then made the comment "I bet there are more", I didn't see anymore so I continued to scoop out the gravel. Pretty soon we saw another 2 then another two as I continued to scoop out more gravel and found more and more also under the UGF plate. The end count was between 18-22 (buggers don't stay still). So... apparently I have crush proof platys...right now they're almost a 1/2" long and swimming happily in the 5.5 gal tank I was planning on making a planted nano with some of my roommate's baby mollies that he discovered while he was doing the same thing. been feeding them finely crushed flake food and the tiniest piece of an algae tablet. I guess the question I have is, how long till the babies grow up? we talking weeks or months?

·
Registered
234 Posts
depends , if the water quality is good and you feed multiple times , the little guys should grow pretty good , if there about a cm right now then ide predict ( dont hold me to this) a month.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, thanks! I feed about twice a day and they are about 1cm.
water parameters are:
pH=7.2
NO2=0ppm
NH3=0ppm
NO3=5ppm (did a 1/3 water change after the test)

·
Registered
234 Posts
nice... with all that said , they should grow quick , month- month and a half.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts