The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My platy's had babies, and among the fry is one without eyes. Both eyes are missing. It's about a month old, I just realized it now. Until now, it had been hiding in the plants, but now that its gotten older and bigger, it hangs out on the plants at the top of the tank. I have to feed it because he's not finding the food on his own.

What do I do? I don't want it to mate with others and yet, I can't "flush it" as my mom suggests. It'n not his fault, afterall. :help:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Quarantine him in another tank. Or humanely euthanize him....you can do a search to find more info on that if you like.

It would be less likely that he will be able to breed, but if you want to make sure those are the options I see....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have one tank! :( All I have is a 2 gallon bowl I had for a betta. Would that work for a platty? Would it need a heater or just an overhead lamp?

People say not to feed him, to let nature take its course, but I just cant purposely starve someone. It seems so cruel.

·
Registered
974 Posts
a 2 gallon with regular water changes would work....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Im pretty sure fish dont feel pain like we do. Yes probably the feeling of physical pain to the nerves to keep themselves alive.

If the bowl stays in a warmer spot where it doesnt get to cold it should be fine. But I personally have no problem disposing of him if its for the better good. It's only a fish. Havn't you ever been out fishing, caught a fish and killed it so you can eat it later?
I spent my entire youth fishing the ocean, lakes and streams.

I love fish in a tank, on a plate and in my tummy :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
In nature, he would have been eaten 1 month ago.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would've been happier had he been eaten a month ago, but the challenge is how to raise him now that he's a teen.

I will try the 2 gallon for him. I just can't flush him.

Thanks for the help! Truly appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no no, the betta passed away at Christmas. The bowl is left over from him.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ugh, I just found a one-eyed platty too!

·
Registered
722 Posts
All in your tank....?
something sounds "fishy" to me...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I flushed them both. I'm a sobbing mess now. I hate having done it, but my tank ios too small and I only have one, and, well, I feel awful. :icon_frow

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Do you have a plutonium rod in the tank that's causing these mutations?
How's Victoria's waters? Any pollution problems? Fish and frogs are usually the first sign of pollution.

·
Plant Lover
301 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your babies. It always grieves me when I lose any living pet/ friend or animal. However, I do want to add that I hope you did not literally flush them... not the proper way to dispose of fish. First, it adds unintended waste to the sewage treatment (or septic tank). Better to gain the nutrients for the garden. At least that way their lives and spirits are recycled, as it were.

·
Plant Lover
301 Posts
Must admit... indeed, of course you are right... just thinking in a "drop of water on a stone" mode.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts