The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two panda cory cats, and during a water change/filter cleaning I found a baby one! I have it in a mesh box(I don't know what it's called sorry!) because I have a male beta who already tried to eat it once(UPDATE: He jumped into the mesh)What should I do as far as food goes for it?

Thank you!:bounce:

Plant Water Light Green Leaf

Plant Purple Grey Violet Tree .

There are two panda cory cats, one otto cat, one beta, and five neon tetras

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should put an airstone into the breeder net to prevent the water from being stangnant. You probably could feed it hikari first bites.
Thanks! The aquarium is so small (10gal) that the mesh is right against the spray bar. Is that enough flow to keep the water fresh, or do I still need an airstone? I have one, but I would prefer not to use it if I don't have to.

Also, is hikari first bites available in most pet stores/aquarium stores?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
561 Posts
You probably could feed it hikari first bites.

+1

I have used First Bites for guppy fry for a while now. It works well until they're old enough to eat finely crushed flakes and a small pouch lasts forever. I got it at Petco. Also seen it at Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus. Should be easy to find.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably could feed it hikari first bites.

+1

I have used First Bites for guppy fry for a while now. It works well until they're old enough to eat finely crushed flakes and a small pouch lasts forever. I got it at Petco. Also seen it at Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus. Should be easy to find.
Oh ok, thank you! I have hikari tropical algae wafers that break down into really tiny pieces. I dropped a tiny chuck of that in earlier (just so there was something) while I was waiting for replies. Do you think I could keep feeding it that?

My dad doesn't want me to spend money on it so I'm trying to work with what I have already :(

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
congrats! he is so cuteee... he will be fine in that little box until big enough to join his parents. if the betta keeps jumping, lower your water line a little so the top of the box is not flush with your water line.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm anti-algae wafer. I think it is too hard to remove the excess and they pollute the water. You should be able to pick up the First Bites for around $4, and like I said, the tiny bag goes a long way. Otherwise, just crush up some flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, or whatever you have into tiny pieces. I feed my guppies a mix of all three. I stopped feeding the First Bites because I have so many fry, but they seem to be surviving without.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Congrats!
All my cories eat shrimp pellets first, algae wafers second. A small piece of either 3-4 times a week should be plenty.

Most cories eat off the bottom, not the water column and, I believe, first bites float.

v3

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats!
All my cories eat shrimp pellets first, algae wafers second. A small piece of either 3-4 times a week should be plenty.

Most cories eat off the bottom, not the water column and, I believe, first bites float.

v3
Ah thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm anti-algae wafer. I think it is too hard to remove the excess and they pollute the water. You should be able to pick up the First Bites for around $4, and like I said, the tiny bag goes a long way. Otherwise, just crush up some flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, or whatever you have into tiny pieces. I feed my guppies a mix of all three. I stopped feeding the First Bites because I have so many fry, but they seem to be surviving without.
Yeah I noticed they're hard to remove, quite a pain honestly. So I started feeding small enough chunks that I know they'll eat it all, and they eat any of the other food that falls to the bottom so I know they're getting enough to eat (maybe even too much). Thank you! :)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Congrats on your cute baby fish!
I'd suggest you put that anubias plant (the one with the wide leaves) in the box with the baby. He'll appreciate that more than the floating plants.
I also suggest you add maybe two more panda cories, they really prefer groups.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats on your cute baby fish!
I'd suggest you put that anubias plant (the one with the wide leaves) in the box with the baby. He'll appreciate that more than the floating plants.
I also suggest you add maybe two more panda cories, they really prefer groups.
Ok, I'll try that! And I'll see if I can get two more cories :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe you guys'll know something about this, too. My five neon tetras have been fighting a lot lately. I haven't seen any injuries but they chase and pick at each other a lot.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I had it tilted because the Betta jumped into it. I know he can still get in through the back but he didn't seem to notice that option :)
Ah. Add some moss into your breeder net to keep your baby more secure. Also, it looks big enough to feed pulverized fish flake.

Maybe you guys'll know something about this, too. My five neon tetras have been fighting a lot lately. I haven't seen any injuries but they chase and pick at each other a lot.
Get some more and make their school bigger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah. Add some moss into your breeder net to keep your baby more secure. Also, it looks big enough to feed pulverized fish flake.

Get some more and make their school bigger.
Just added some crushed neon color flakes, the other fish are trying to eat them through the mesh haha. And alrighty I'll get some more :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts