The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
That's awesome, I wish I could get some to breed. Since they are in a growout tank already, maybe the odds are with them.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
That's awesome, I wish I could get some to breed. Since they are in a growout tank already, maybe the odds are with them.
Thanks, yeah possibility I guess we'll see. I'll post pics if any continue to survive.

Here's another pic two days later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is that 2 more smaller ones yet??? Please send them all to me... Mine just died not sure why had 3 and they all does with in 4 days... No other dead fish just my Otto's... And I can't find anymore. My glass is getting dirty with out them...

Also curious of your tank set up and how you managed to get them to breed😀

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is that 2 more smaller ones yet??? Please send them all to me... Mine just died not sure why had 3 and they all does with in 4 days... No other dead fish just my Otto's... And I can't find anymore. My glass is getting dirty with out them...
I think those two little ones are Copepods, tiny crustaceans. They are in many tanks, but they are so small I think people don't always see them. I didn't even notice them until i looked at the pic taken with a macro lens. Those little things are only about 1mm-2mm (0.04"-0.08")

i wasn't intending them to breed. There's only 3 of them in a tank with plants/shrimp. The kh is 4, and gh is 8, ph is around 6.5 with co2, no heater (72F.)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Has anyone on here ever bred otos? There are reports you can look up on PlanetCatfish. As long as you've got plenty of algae and no predators I'd imagine the little guy would do okay.....

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
There have been a few reports on here. Mostly older. I saw one within the last 2 or 3 years but can't find it now. Here's an oldie but goodie: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/115796-baby-otto%60s.html

Try searching different combinations of the words: "Otocinclus breeding, Otocinclus babies, Otto..., Oto..., … spawning", etc

Members have done it, but it's rare. Kudos @Asteroid!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks @KayakJimW. Can't take much credit since I'm a novice with fish breeding. I see about 5 in there right now, I never saw the eggs. I also didn't have anything on the intake so might have lost some that way as well.

Edit: Well I did a more extensive such and look what I found. I guess they're not done yet.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try this link: The Otocinclus Paper

What would you like to know? First, congrats! Otos spawn similar to Corydoras, but have more complex requirements for higher survivibility.

Gary
Thank you. That is one comprehensive article on Otos. As mentioned not really setup for this, so I'm sure the survival rates will be very low if any. The tank does have algae on the glass and on some wood so I'll leave it alone. One question, I did scan through your article. I think you mentioned ramshorn snails were not good, can you elaborate. The tank does have these snails, plus RCS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on getting your Otos to spawn, it doesn't happen super often. I have had 3 generations of them spawn over time. The eggs hatch after about 24 h. The sac-fry live off their yolk for 2 days and start feeding on day 3. Feeding them is the same as adults. They will feed on zucchini and algae, although I would suggest for long term care offering the Repashy Soilent green gel diet. This has a little protein in it and they seem to do rather well on it. Don't be surprised if some grow faster than others, it's a phenomenon I've noticed. But they all seem to be about the same size by 2 months of growth. Both my F1 and F2 generations started spawning after 14 months.

But as others have said, with no predators in the tank, they should do just fine. The survival percentage is not as high as other loricariids, so don't be surprised if you loose some, especially if you are not specifically feeding them.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help!

·
Registered
483 Posts
In a dedicated breeding tank, Ramshorn Snails can outcompete the wigglers for food. My breeding tanks were an Oto Only club. Also, the Shrimp, may predate on the tiniest of eggs/fry as always, most are opportunists and never pass up a free meal.

Gary

1 - 20 of 22 Posts