The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200L planted tank with tetras amanos, ottos and other similar fish..

I recently got 8 neocaridina shrimps 4 male 4 female and they are always with eggs! I obviously want to save all or most of them so I put a sponge where my intake filter is.. the thing is I reduced suction flow by quite a bit and also the out flow is reduced.. is there something you guys do or can suggest or is that the only way?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know that there are stainless steel guards out there. I have one for my small ZooMed but I don't know how big they get. Also, the guy I got mine from several years ago is no longer in the business. Not much help, but they are out there!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not much but I water change weekly do it tends to get a bit dirty till the end of the week..

Would these do a better job?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I use the pre-filter sponges from aquarium co-op. They have 3 sizes that fit most filters. They are coarse enough they rarely clog or affect flow. The only thing I usually get stuck on them is duckweed or big leaves. The holes are big enough for new shrimp fry to get inside but they don't seem to end up in the filter itself. They do however, like to hang out in there and feed on all the bits that go through.

Reactions: Leeatl

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
"Survival of the fittest".... kind of like saying the rabbit that survives the longest when it's stuck in an area surrounded by wolves and hawks is the 'fittest' animal... when in reality, it's more like it's the luckiest one if it hasn't been eaten yet.

Another way to think of it is like the animal that has had the chance to reproduce the most and pass on genes to the next generation. You might get some offspring to survive, you might not. It'll depend on your fish and setup. Many fish who will ignore the adults may go after the offspring. Some shrimp may refuse to breed in a tank with fish whereas others are catching hundreds a week from a community tank and selling or trading the offspring.

Each tank is going to vary.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I had the same problem. Solved it by making an oversized pre filter out of PVC and making a 30 or 40 PPI poret sponge cylinder to wrap around it. I drilled as many holes in the PVC as possible. I capped one end of the PVC with a cap and the other end got a coupling and a reducer so that it would fit tightly on my eheims intake tube. The PVC can be pretty much any size you like but I found that making it some where between 1.25" and 2.25" worked best and having it span most of the height of the tank worked well. The idea is that even though I am using very small pores size sponge because of the huge surface area it has little to no effect on flow. The added benefit is lots of surface area for good bacteria.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the same problem. Solved it by making an oversized pre filter out of PVC and making a 30 or 40 PPI poret sponge cylinder to wrap around it. I drilled as many holes in the PVC as possible. I capped one end of the PVC with a cap and the other end got a coupling and a reducer so that it would fit tightly on my eheims intake tube. The PVC can be pretty much any size you like but I found that making it some where between 1.25" and 2.25" worked best and having it span most of the height of the tank worked well. The idea is that even though I am using very small pores size sponge because of the huge surface area it has little to no effect on flow. The added benefit is lots of surface area for good bacteria.
Can you share photos? Looks like a good workaround!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used the same coarse foam to make my prefilters when I saw my first berried shrimp. I haven't noticed any problem with reduced flow from the 307 or the 2213 (though the eheim is usually pretty low flow, with its CO2 reactor and inline heater and just being a smaller, older filter). And I don't get detritus clogging it, because the shrimp just munch on any leaves or anything that gets stuck there. So it basically solved the problem with no down side. Which filter do you have on the tank?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the same coarse foam to make my prefilters when I saw my first berried shrimp. I haven't noticed any problem with reduced flow from the 307 or the 2213 (though the eheim is usually pretty low flow, with its CO2 reactor and inline heater and just being a smaller, older filter). And I don't get detritus clogging it, because the shrimp just munch on any leaves or anything that gets stuck there. So it basically solved the problem with no down side. Which filter do you have on the tank?
I have the Sicce Whale 350...

Will do later today. I'm about 4hrs from home
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Sorry i didn't get to this last night. These will give you an idea of my prefilters. Pretty simple, I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up with this idea. I have also seen prefilters on Amazon and other sites. Usually they are smaller and made of stainless steel mesh. I just think newly hatched neos will get through the holes. When I first tried the ones that I made I was using courser sponge and the little shrimp made it through. But with the smaller PPI foam that dosen'
Wood Musical instrument Bumper Font Gas
Plant Organism Grass Terrestrial plant Flower
t seem to happen. I got this foam from Swiss Tropicals. It's not exactly cheap but its really superior to any other foam or sponge that I have ever used. So I don't know if my prefilters are costs effective to make, and they take a bit of time, but I had all of the materials and pipe from other projects. Oh and the spray paint is Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2x Ultra cover which if you let it cure for a few weeks seems to be aquarium safe. The other brand is Krylon Fusion which is also supposed to be aquarium safe. I would love to see other peoples ideas for pre filters.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.