The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was watching my rcs the other day and realized my plecos had eggs. but since this was there first time,they laid them right in the middle of the tank on the gravel. i figured id let them go and see what happens, wasnt sure if they were even fertilized or not. the males been hiding but its not that close to where i found the eggs. maybe he has more with him. anyhow i couldnt find the eggs yesterday but today i found one had hatched and is swimming into the gravel. i know the baby still has his egg sack thing for another couple days. would my neon tetras ,Rasbora heteromorpha or rcs?? im excited to see a baby finally. my bn plecos only started getting there bristles like last week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if you guys think the fish would be a threat to the little baby. i could pick up a small aquarium. the only problem is thered be no algae in the tank for the little guy to eat. i have a bunch of baby rcs in my tank right now. i havent seen any of the fish go after any shrimp ever but they could be when im not watching

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Smokin - congrats on your new babies! So it's possible that the eggs you saw out in the open were accidentally ejected from the area where the male pleco intended to guard them. If he has a cave that's open on both ends, the water flow could have pushed them out into the open. It's also possible if he's a first-time dad, that he pushed the eggs out of his preferred hiding spot just from inexperience. Or he sensed something was wrong with them, etc. But otherwise, we would normally expect the egg clutch to be closely guarded in a "cave", and for the dad to keep the babies hidden in the cave until they're ready to be free-swimming.

Yes, it is possible that your other fish/shrimp will prey on the eggs/fry. You can set up a separate tank, and I highly suggest using a sponge filter or at least a sponge pre-filter over the intake if you use any type of HOB or power filter, etc. And you do have to worry about cycling the tank. So if you're worried about doing something quickly, rather than setting up a second tank, you might be able to obtain one of those isolation nets that hangs on the rim of the tank. Or "breeder box", etc. Something that doesn't have openings large enough for them to get out or other fish to get in; but that shares the tank water and circulation in your main tank. For some amount of days they will survive on their egg sacks. But then they will have to convert over to plant/vegetable based diet (algae, zucchini, spirulina wafers, etc.)

Do you keep plants in the tank with them? You could take some free-floating plants and put in the isolation net/box or separate aquarium with them. Even if there's no algae present, there will be other "invisible" yummies on the leaf surfaces for them to feed on as they convert to prepared foods.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only got one baby out of the eight eggs i seen. They got pushed around by the fish and ended up under my air pump and I don't think they made it cause no fresh water could get to them good enough. So I picked up a ten gallon tank and a sponge filter and some plants. I changed the sponge that I bought today out with the one that's on my canister filter. So with that and the plants I think one baby bn can survive. I can't wait to have more babies sometime. I'm gonna watch the eggs better next time. Is it ok to take the eggs out of the main tank and put them in the ten gallon to hatch? Should I take the father with the eggs? Or just let them hatch in the main tank.?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Assuming the father has a suitable "cave" where to guard the eggs, I would leave them with the dad. If you take them out though, do some searches on how best to keep the eggs through hatching. Some people will put the eggs in a suspended breeder net, with air bubbler beneath it to keep good flow around the eggs to prevent fungus, etc. Search here for tips, and at planetcatfish.com for more info on how to raise the eggs if you end up pulling them from the dad.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks geminiluna. Ill probably just leave the eggs with the father untill they hatch. Then siphon them out to another tank for them to grow out in. The one baby I have now is so little it's crazy. Haha. He's all alone in a ten gallon. Kinda hard to find him or her.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it normal for this young baby to lay on it's side? Its in a ten gallon tank filled with tank water from where the egg hatched and the sponge from the tank also. Has two plants and a piece of wood. I figured he's just tired because he's a baby and is new to swimming and all. His egg sack is almost gone .I just want him to be alright.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I did see some of my fry appear motionless or on their sides at times. But typically they'd attach to the glass at the level of the substrate and hang out on their side rather than just lay out in the open on their side. Is it out in the open, or at the base of one of the plants or something?

You're giving it a very good shot at survival. :) If it doesn't make it, it's not because of anything you did or didn't do.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If he still has some of the egg sack than this is not that unusual. Once the egg sack is gone they start feeding and he should be sucking on the tank walls or the decor but until then they often just lay around.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I lost that first baby. He didnt make it past two days. They start breeding around a year old or so. I think mine are around 10 months or so. So today I seen they have eggs again.:) This time the eggs are In a cave. I bought a cave for plecos. I can't wait for them to hatch. If I put the father Nd eggs/cave in another tank. Would the hardness of the water effect the eggs. Ill probably have to change the water to make it close to the same. There in a 29g now with softer water than the 10g has.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.