The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many is the most shrimp anyone's had in their tank without pump-type filtration, but with plenty of plants?

I just counted 45 babies clinging to the glass on ONE end of my 10 gallon tank. That means there must be atleast 200 babies in there if you guesstimate four sides plus on the plants. I also have 50 or so adults in there. Is it time to fire up the sponge filter? If so, it's way sooner than I thought ~ these things DO breed like cockroaches!:hihi:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I had around fifty in a 2.5 with two male endlers and no filter. They did stop reproducing until I took most of them out. The most I've had in a filtered 10 gallon is probably 400 of various size. They also stopped reproducing as such a high density.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I think you can get away with hundreds as long as you are willing to do more frequent water changes. since shrimp are sensitive to new water, it's probably best to keep a spare 5gal water bottle around full of old water that's ready for each new change and make sure to use a brine shrimp net at the suction end of your siphon to be sure you are not taking along any fry during a water change. at some point in their maturity you really need to sell or give away most of them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, sounds like the filter is definitely in order then. I can do more frequent water changes, but it sounds like a filter would be better for them. I'll get on that first thing in the morning. I've also got another tank set up and cycled, so I may move some into that one if something hangs up the filter building.

at some point in their maturity you really need to sell or give away most of them.
Yep, definitely planning on it. I've already stocked up on breather bags and Priority Mail boxes.:proud:

Thanks for the help everybody! :biggrin:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha, Epic!! That's a stocking rate of over fifty per gallon. I think you win the prize. :icon_lol:

Owen, I don't think any were over a couple weeks old when I first noticed them on the glass. I actually saw the first one on the 16th of May. There weren't many then. They might have already been a few days old by then, but I surely didn't see them before that and I was checking. ;) So as little as twelve days and as many as two weeks before I counted them all over the glass. A little more detail for you ~ I have fifty or so adults in there (got juvies and adults a month before I saw babies). I don't clean the inside of the glass on the ends either since I read that the babies like that algae that grows there. I do clean the front and back glass and that's probably why I didn't see as many there.

Thanks, RESGuy! :biggrin:

HA! Right, Mike! I just can't bring myself to do that yet. :redface: I've been wanting them for so long that the excitement hasn't worn off yet. But I imagine before it's all over I won't have any qualms about that. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Owen, I don't think any were over a couple weeks old when I first noticed them on the glass. I actually saw the first one on the 16th of May. There weren't many then. They might have already been a few days old by then, but I surely didn't see them before that and I was checking. ;) So as little as twelve days and as many as two weeks before I counted them all over the glass. A little more detail for you ~ I have fifty or so adults in there (got juvies and adults a month before I saw babies). I don't clean the inside of the glass on the ends either since I read that the babies like that algae that grows there. I do clean the front and back glass and that's probably why I didn't see as many there.
Thanks Linda. One of my son's berried females is no longer berried, and the time is about right for her to have had babies. We have not noticed anything yet, and there are a few other berried mommas-to-be, so we are on baby-alert big time!!! Just wanted to get an idea as to when we might start noticing them. Lots of hiding places though, so it will probably be difficult to spot them until they get a bit larger.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks Linda. One of my son's berried females is no longer berried, and the time is about right for her to have had babies. We have not noticed anything yet, and there are a few other berried mommas-to-be, so we are on baby-alert big time!!! Just wanted to get an idea as to when we might start noticing them. Lots of hiding places though, so it will probably be difficult to spot them until they get a bit larger.
Don't worry I didn't start seeing my first babies until 2 days after I noticed that my RCS was no longer berried :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.