The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two quick questions, one very general re. any regulator, and one more specific to Azoo.

When you look into the threads of the regulator, is there a built in white nylon washer in the unit? I suspect the answer is no, but since I have one stuck in there, I'm guessing it's just that - stuck. If indeed it's an old one that is having trouble coming out I'm thinking I should figure out a way to get it out and replace it with a new one. Any body have any ideas on how to get that thing out of there without damaging the regulator?

Second question, and probably all regulators work similarly......

If you close your needle valve and turn off the solenoid and then open the valve, both stages of the regulator show pressure of course. If you then turn off the valve, how long should it take before that pressure has all leaked out and the gauges show zero pressure? In theory I know the answer to that question is zero, but what is it in practice? Mine is taking about 18 hours to register zero on both gauges, which to me is saying that I have a CO2 leak. If I do, that leads me back to my first question about the white washer and my suspicion that it should be replaced.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Answer to question #1. The nylon washers in these get stuck. You need to push back the nut that connects to the tank. You can try and unscrew the nut back onto the flange. I had to use a rubber mallet to get mine to back off. If you do that do it gently. You might just be able to just use brute force to push it back. Once you get that nylon seal off do not use on again. I only use fiber seals that I get at the refilling station.

Question #2.... not sure as I have never tried that before. But it could be a leak if you have reused your nylon seal. I would put a new seal in there (fiber or permenant) and give it another try.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
I also use a fiber seal that I get from the Fire Extinguisher store where I get my tanks refilled. I've had that problem also and I just left the stucked nylon seal and added a new one, fortunately, it worked without a leakage.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing what a wrench and soap will do. It ends up the leak was between the regulator and where it attaches to the solenoid housing. I cranked the solenoid a bit tighter with a wrench and lo and behold - no more soap bubbles.

Thanks for all the advice, and when I change this tank out I'll definitely plan to change out that washer that is stuck. Not touching it for now though!

Tom

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Amazing what a wrench and soap will do. It ends up the leak was between the regulator and where it attaches to the solenoid housing. I cranked the solenoid a bit tighter with a wrench and lo and behold - no more soap bubbles.

Thanks for all the advice, and when I change this tank out I'll definitely plan to change out that washer that is stuck. Not touching it for now though!

Tom

Yeah, if it's not leaking, best not to mess with it.

It can be a real pain to get those nylon washers out. I've got it down pat, so I've never spent money on a washer since the nylon ones are free, but if it's too much of a pain, you can get a decent fiber washer for just a few bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts