The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Azoo regulator, the CGA 320 nipple has a raised Center area on the mating surface. Regular washers don't fit because the I.D. of the washer is smaller than the raised area. I also have a perma seal I can't use either because of this. I guess I need to replace the nipple, do they all have a flat mating surface? Or are some like the one on my Azoo?
Local welding shop should have these right? Any advice on removing the old nipple and replacing the new one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Odd question but I have to check. I've not used the Azoo so I'm not sure what size ridge you are running into. I use the semi-flexible plastic washers and don't find the ridge is a problem but may act somewhat like a second line of seal as it presses into the plastic. Does it actually give trouble getting it to fit or is it just a thing that looks like a problem?
Sounds odd that a CGA 320 would be different enough to not fit as CGA is the standard that all should be meeting. But then I also can't see it nearly as well as you!!
This is a pretty clear drawing of what the CGA should be:
http://www.concoa.com/images/CGA/cga320.jpg

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
If it's anything like the Milwaukee nipple (google it for pics to compare), you'll need to contact a distributor to get a washer that fits, and you'll never be able to use a permaseal or standard CO2 washer with it. I also suspect that even if you're able to remove the nipple, the thread type and size will turn out to be proprietary, or possibly a thread type common in the country of manufacture (not NPT or BST).

I've had a Milwaukee, and after googling the Azoo reg, the nipples don't look the same, but are similarly awkward. You *might* be able to drill out the center of a standard washer to fit, but I think your best bet is to get some replacements from a distributor.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Hmm.... That's what I was wondering, I figured the threads going into the regulator would be standard. Was hoping to just swap the CGA 320 fitting out.

The 320 fitting should all be the same. Are you saying the female threads on the regulator don't fit the mail threads on the cylinder?
We really just need the pic.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
So what we are talking is that it is a CGA320 fitting except it's not? Isn't that a fine thing to find!!!
The nut has CGA320 threads. But the nipple, where it screws into the regulator, may have something other than the standard 1/4" NPT or even (rarely) 1/8" NPT. I suspect it's something altogether different. But you won't know unless you're able to remove it.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
In looking at some specs on CGA320, it has come up that what we are really talking about is CGA320 being a US standard and when we get into equipment made in other countries part of the risk is that they may not have the same standards.
What looks kind of like a CGA fitting may not be the same as we expect. Azoo does not appear to be CGA320 but something close that may or may not work with standard CGA320 fittings.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Okay, tried to reply to this the other night, but got caught up in the password snafu. Regulators manufactured in other countries may have been designed for cylinders that don't use CGA threads. The washers that come with certain brands (Azoo and Milwaukee, for example) may be the fix for that. Or, those nipple ends - and washers - may be attempts at encouraging consumers to continue buying their products, as you'd have to go back to a manufacturer's distributor to get a washer that will work with our (North American) cylinder threads. Azoo and Milwaukee regulators *do* connect to North American CO2 cylinders - it just requires a proprietary washer to do it.

The other issue, the one regarding replacing the nipple, however, has nothing to do with the end of the nipple that connects to the cylinder. The threads on the *other* end of the nipple, those that screw into the regulator, are likely not NPT (North American) or BSPT (European and some East Asian countries). Nipples that use those thread types are manufactured both in the US and abroad. Additionally, they're probably not the same type as other, less-common outlet threads that come on US-manufactured regulators, such as Male NPT or VCR, and nipples that use those threads exist here as well. But the nipples that come with the cheap, prefab Asian-made units - assuming they're even screwed on and not mounted in some non-removable fashion - may have thread types that we've never heard of, and it's likely that no American company designs a nipple with a CGA attachment on one end and that odd thread at the other end.

So, you may be stuck with that particular nipple, and all you have to do, assuming you stick with that regulator, is get a couple replacement washers from the distributor of that brand.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Yes. It is as we mentioned. This is a drawing of the real CGA320 which is the US standard.

http://www.concoa.com/images/CGA/cga320.jpg

The right side shows the nut on the fitting that goes to the tank. Note the flat surface of the nipple? The one you have has no flat surface so it may be "close" to CGA320 but not really.

The other end of that fitting where it screws to the reg may be most anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts