The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every thing else in my aquarium has been going smoothly except for the damn CO2. I just filled up my tank yesterday and before that only a month ago tops.

The gauges read (left to right gauge) ~55 psi and below 500 psi...

At first I thought there was a leak but now I think it has something to do with the regulator.

I have no clue whats up and going to fill up my tank every month is not something I should have to do.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Is the tank still cold? As the CO2 warms up, the high pressure gauge should go up to 800 PSI (or more).

If after 24 hours, the pressure is still low, either the refill place is cheating you by underfilling the tank, or you have a leak (you might not think so, but that would be the next best explanation as to why your CO2 is running out so fast!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 5lb catalina aluminum tank on a 29g aquarium currently being dosed at 2-3bps.

I have not done a leak check yet, but now the high pressure gauge is almost at 0 again, the tank is still cool. I don't think it's a leak because the tank is still heavy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there was a small leak where the regulator screws on to the cylinder so I just tightened it and no more leak.

But, the low pressure gauge reads 60 and the high pressure gauge is almost at 0...

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Tank may be near empty. Can you adjust the low pressure side downward?

SteveU

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just filled it up yesterday, there is no wayy it could be empty. How would you adjust the low pressure side downward? Do you mean screw it in more?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Not sure on yours, but one way or the other.

I'm by far no expert but think 60 on the working side might be higher than needed.

Can't say why your higher side is off. Maybe try closing the tank valve, bleed all the pressure from the low side and start over. Just taking some guesses.

SteveU

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
I don't think it's a leak because the tank is still heavy.
It may be a leak; my empty tank is still pretty heavy even when it's empty.

So there was a small leak where the regulator screws on to the cylinder so I just tightened it and no more leak.

But, the low pressure gauge reads 60 and the high pressure gauge is almost at 0...
Sounds like there is no more gas in your tank.

I just filled it up yesterday, there is no wayy it could be empty. How would you adjust the low pressure side downward? Do you mean screw it in more?
To decrease the delivery pressure (low pressure side), turn the knob counterclockwise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts