The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Azoo regulator off eBay and found out that the fitting on it is the asian style fitting. I should have been more careful when purchasing, I am new to CO2 so I wasn't aware of this difference until now. Is there anywhere that I can get this changed or buy a fitting to adapt it to an american regulator fitting?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If the threading into the regulator is 1/4" npt, then you can buy a cga 320 stem and nut from a bajillion places. Airgas locally or online at many places.
+1

I run two AZOO regulators but mine both came with CGA-320. When I asked the supplier directly before ordering they said the only difference with the overseas version was the stem. You should be able to get exactly what OverStocked suggested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It turns out it was CGA-320, but the nipple on it had some funky lip that stuck out and stopped the CO2 cylinder from threading all the way. I'm not sure what do do with this... I was originally planning on using paintball CO2 but the adapter just wont seal period without more threading. I'll probably just have to use a 5 lb cylinder.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It turns out it was CGA-320, but the nipple on it had some funky lip that stuck out and stopped the CO2 cylinder from threading all the way. I'm not sure what do do with this... I was originally planning on using paintball CO2 but the adapter just wont seal period without more threading. I'll probably just have to use a 5 lb cylinder.
Replace the nipple....

Easy peasy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It is probably some type of sealant. I think it would be OK to take apart but that is just me. Stick the regulator in a vice and use a good pair of channel locks. I have a spare Azoo I am not using in case you end up breaking the thing - -which I doubt. I'd crank on that sucker. If you have some kind of torch maybe you can heat the nipple a little to loosen the sealant. But if you do that I'd be careful to not overheat the thing and damage the diaphram in the regulator body............

·
Registered
320 Posts
It is NOT CGA320. It's Japan/Taiwan/Europe compatible standard (nicknamed 22-14).
You can still screw it all the way into a CGA320 male if you cut
that lip (and lose the mesh filter) though, because 22-14's nut is bigger
than CGA320's male (and so, you can't screw CGA320's nut into a
22-14's male).

Cheap adapters (22-14 to CGA320) exist (I'm using one) but may be
unavailable in your area. I saw drsfostersmith carry it, not sure
if they still do.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A temporary workaround is to stack two washers together to
cover the "lip" (resulting in three washers, including the one that comes with it).
You may have to enlarge the hole in CGA320 washer before using it (I did).
I had used it this way about a year before getting the adapter with no problem.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would not do that, sounds kinda janky, (no offense). I am just saying that I would rather just get a regular CGA320.

And if you use a 5lb tank, you will be good, if you use a paintball tank, you will need an adapter on top of that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The thing with fitting it to a normal CO2 tank is that it fits fine and tightens, but will only get about three turns in before it's stopped by the lip, so I'm not sure if it's air-tight or not.
From what you said, it sounds not. I'm not sure if you know how a CO2
connection works. Washer plays essential role. It can't be sealed by
metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The asian stems stick out a bit further to fit their smaller asain tanks.. if you took this to a machine shop, and got them to grind the stem down to the washer, it will screw onto the US/Canada standard 320 c02 tanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.