The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was doing a small water change and decided to rinse out my filter a bit since it was accumulating some gunk in there. Once I finished rinsing it and plugged it back in, my filter started to make like a vibration noise. I tried to see if anything was stuck on the impeller but it looks clean and spinning correctly. There was no oxygen buildup in the inlet. Now it just sounds like an internet router if anyone knows what Im talking about haha so last night I had to unplug the thing so I could sleep.
From what I can tell, the noise is coming from the motor or the little black box the power outlet is connected to. Not sure what to do to stop the sound and I wanted to take the filter apart to see if there's something wrong with the impeller from the other side but I can't find how to open up the filter...
Has anyone else experienced this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check to make sure everything is back in place correctly. I've had this happen many times although not with that particular model. I've seen the impeller housing on older pumps become worn after a long period of use, and it was only noticed when it was cleaned out. The ceramic rod holding the impeller assembly can become worn as well. Anything giving the smallest bit of wiggle room can lead to a rattle, buzz, noise etc.
Or you can have a really stubborn cavitation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a cotton swab to grease the metal post the impeller sits on for both of my HOB filters. It works great to quiet them up. I use a little PURE unscented petroleum jelly as the lube. Can't quite remember where I got the tip from though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.