The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am wanting to setup a tank for 2-3 axolotls.
I am planning a 20g long, eco-complete substrate(want a few plants for display purposes), a toms mini canister filter(c-80), a heater, and some driftwood. What do you all think?
Also, feel free to tell about basic husbandry(cleaning/water changes) and feeding requirements.

Thanks!

·
GEEK
664 Posts
Hello, I am wanting to setup a tank for 2-3 axolotls.
I am planning a 20g long, eco-complete substrate(want a few plants for display purposes), a toms mini canister filter(c-80), a heater, and some driftwood. What do you all think?
Also, feel free to tell about basic husbandry(cleaning/water changes) and feeding requirements.

Thanks!
Not an invertebrate, but awesome little animals nontheless. Axolotls are neotenic amphibians originally from high altitude lakes and waterways in Mexico (most now nonexistent). They are cold water animals and will do poorly in water above 68 F. They are sensitive to chlorine, ammonia, etc. and need very clean water. They are also carnivorous and will often go after each others' limbs and gills and such. They are used extensively in research and these labs have developed tons of information on husbandry. They are fascinating creatures. I had several in college that were rescued from a biology lab. The above set-up sounds good, consider another canister filter and ditch the heater. You may actually need a chiller in the warmer months.

Have fun and good luck with them. Do a google search. There are tons of information on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts