The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've had my A Reineckii for about 8 months now. It was in a really bad condition when I got it from Petsmart. Since then the one plant has turned in to a pretty nice red midground/background bush of about 7 plants and the color has gone to a really nice reddish purple.

The only problem I've had is that the lower leaves tend to get GSA quite a bit. The tops grow well but then I have to cut off the lower leaves because they get covered in the stuff. I've really noticed it more recently since I replaced one of my lights for a new one of the same kind.

I have about 6 otos and 4 SAE's but they don't seem to eat the GSA that much.They have pretty much eliminated all brown and BBA from my tank so not complaining too much lol...

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on how to improve this situation?

Info on my tank:

55g
2wpg lighting (2x 6400k 54W T5 HO)
DIY CO2 @ ~ 20 ppm
Nitrate: 15-25ppm
Phoshpate 1.5-2ppm
GH- 5
KH- 5

Dosing: CSM+B, Flourish Excel

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had the same problem, and ended up pulling it because of the ugly brown and black spots.

People say they have better luck with it in a CO2/high light tank. I wouldn't know, mine is low tech.

- Jay

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah makes sense. It's kind of just at the point where it can grow ok but I agree it would probably do better in higher light high and co2. A lot hardier than some of the other red plants though for sure.

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Agree^ that it's probably a combination of too much csmb (trace toxicity) and/or poor CO2. The two aren't necessarily independent.

If the new leaves are growing nice and flat then it's more likely a CO2 issue. If they are wavy or twisted at all, then it's probably either micro tox, or possibly a Ca or Mg deficiency, could still be a CO2 issue as well

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Agree^ that it's probably a combination of too much csmb (trace toxicity) and/or poor CO2. The two aren't necessarily independent.

If the new leaves are growing nice and flat then it's more likely a CO2 issue. If they are wavy or twisted at all, then it's probably either micro tox, or possibly a Ca or Mg deficiency, could still be a CO2 issue as well
It's a myth that low CO2 causes all sorts of problems. Low CO2 by itself does not cause any visible symptoms other than slowed growth. It's also incredibly unlikely that Ca or Mg are deficient.

Also note, if you go over the dozens of threads about problems with AR, you will quickly see how sensitive it is to trace toxicity.

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Yes I have first hand experience with trace tox in both AR varieties. You are absolutely right that it's highly sensitive.

I disagree that low CO2 causes nothing but slower growth. But for the sake of argument, let's say you are right:

Low CO2 = slower growth = less nutrient uptake = more trace build up = toxicity

So they are not mutually exclusive. One can influence the other.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
But if you didn't overdose traces, there would be the issue in the first place. Then CO2 can be kept low, or not added at all and plants will grow perfectly healthy. But if traces are overdosed, then no amount of CO2 will save them.

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Dont get me wrong, Im a firm believer in the whole micro tox phenomena, having experienced it first hand for many months before knowing what the real problem was.

But we havent even seen the plants in question.

Like I said in the first post, if the new leaves are flat like they are supposed to be, then the problem isnt trace tox. It is more likely the old leaves are getting algae because the plant in general is suffering from low CO2. Similar to a mobile nutrient deficiency, old growth is sacrificed in favor of the new, or in this case it is left undefended, so to speak.

If the new growth is wavy or twisted, then it's almost certainly a toxicity. That is assuming it's not Ca or Mg deficiency, which can cause the exact same symptoms with this plant.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Like I said in the first post, if the new leaves are flat like they are supposed to be, then the problem isnt trace tox. It is more likely the old leaves are getting algae because the plant in general is suffering from low CO2. Similar to a mobile nutrient deficiency, old growth is sacrificed in favor of the new, or in this case it is left undefended, so to speak.
Trace toxicity has a multitude of affects. It can affect the older growth while the new growth is perfectly healthy, similar to a deficiency. Or it can affect the new growth while the old growth remains healthy.

If the new growth is wavy or twisted, then it's almost certainly a toxicity. That is assuming it's not Ca or Mg deficiency, which can cause the exact same symptoms with this plant.
This one description can be a toxicity, or it can be a deficiency. Boron deficiency can result in these symptoms, as can copper deficiency (though this is not very likely.) So considering all of this, in order to diagnose toxicity, a constellation of symptoms needs to be present so it can get complicated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts