The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a low - moderate light tank. Sand over MTS with all rooted plants... Swords and the like.. I want this tank to be as low maintanence as possible. Since I'm a poor student, I'm going to be cheap and ask for all the stuff for Christmas... But my estimates seem way over what It should cost.. Might be the fact that I can't use tools... So I'm buying a stand... Wish I could build one... Then it would add on another $150.. But even minus that I feel I'm way over in cost. The rocks are free.... But there will also be some driftwood.
The layout is still being played with in my head. But I know I want at least 1/3 of the space to be open sand. If not more... Maybe 1/2...

In addition. I hate how white aquarium sand is... And expensive (mainly this)... I went and looked at play sand... It was either very grey or very white. Anyone know of a sand that looks like... sand? Not too white grey or orange?

·
Registered
435 Posts
sand is white, grey or orange a lot of the time lol
Pool sand seems to be a common choice.
Its never a cheap hobby unless you have a bank of spares and a lot of friends with spare plants, wood etc....
Cheapest way seems to be to buy a whole second hand system on flea bay, craiglist etc...

·
Registered
745 Posts
it depends

tank on sale $40
sunsun filter on ebay $100
stand Diy $50
light Diy $30
co2 Diy w/ yeast $10 startup
MGOC $5
sand cap $5
plants $30
fish $30
===============
~$300 project if youre into diy

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it depends

tank on sale $40
sunsun filter on ebay $100
stand Diy $50
light Diy $30
co2 Diy w/ yeast $10 startup
MGOC $5
sand cap $5
plants $30
fish $30
===============
~$300 project if youre into diy
I guess I'm not as far off as I thought.... Ah well... all within reasonable asking price... (my birthday is right after Christmas so I get a whole lot more, and then just a cake on my birthday)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts