The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

So far Ive seen cherries and crystal reds but apart from these 2 I havent seen any other breeds! does anybody know of other breeds available in Australia? and if so where to get them? Haha its frustrating seeing all these amazing shrimp on this forum and not knowing where to find them!

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
It's hard to get shrimp into Australia, since non-native species are strictly prohibited to cross the border.

Therefore, the fact that there is crystal red, and cherries, is in itself rather magical. They're not illegal to possess, but are illegal to bring into the country from elsewhere.

So basically the only way a new shrimp is introduced, is someone risks their freedom and personal finances (from jail and fines), to smuggle them into the country and breed them.

That said, there are a few fellow shrimp hobbyists on the shrimpnow.com forums, and perhaps you could ask the hobbyists there if they were interested in trading or selling their shrimp. I'm not sure if they have anything different than CRS and cherries, but it's worth looking into

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Maybe figure out who is smuggling in drugs from southeast Asia and see if you can talk them into taking the risk of sneaking in some 1/4" shrimp. ;)

Since Australia has such unique eco-systems I can understand the thought process behind wanting to limit foreign animals and plants but it still ends up being sort of silly as it obviously doesn't stop them from getting in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys! i think ill try shrimpnow.com before I get someone to try to smuggle them into the country lmao!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.