The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm concerned that my shrimp are all dead. I came back to my room and the tank thermometer read 55F. I do not see a single shrimp in my whole tank, either.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No because my tank is too small for a heater.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Unless the tank is <.5 gal, it is not too small to heat. Get the lowest wattage adjustable one you can find (probably 25 watts) and play with temp settings until you get to your ideal temp. I have one in a 2 gallon betta bowl keeping temps at a consistent 81 degrees.

That being said, if you don't see any bodies they might just be very inactive from the low temps.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Unless the tank is <.5 gal, it is not too small to heat. Get the lowest wattage adjustable one you can find (probably 25 watts) and play with temp settings until you get to your ideal temp. I have one in a 2 gallon betta bowl keeping temps at a consistent 81 degrees.

That being said, if you don't see any bodies they might just be very inactive from the low temps.
+1 I have a fixed rate heater in a 3gal betta bowl... Really need to replace that heater:redface:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Alright, I was under the impression that 5gal or less couldn't have a heater, but I guess I was wrong. Also, the shrimp won't get cooked near the heater?
By the way, my tank is a 5 gallon

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, I found a few of them wandering when I put a bedsheet over my window. It looks suspicious from the outside, but at least I raised the temperature to around 70 by cutting off the cold air.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Alright, I was under the impression that 5gal or less couldn't have a heater, but I guess I was wrong. Also, the shrimp won't get cooked near the heater?
By the way, my tank is a 5 gallon
It depends on what you use, higher the wattage, the faster it'll heat the water, since it is a 5gallon, I cannot fathom it be a 100W heater. Most heaters have a self-control thermostat so when it reaches a certain temperature, it turns off. I don't have any experience with small heaters, but bigger ones 25+ have self-shut offs.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I'll look into getting one. Any brand you would recommend? I'm looking at EHEIM

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
That's a fantastic brand! I'd would read reviews over brand names any day of the week, though.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have an Eheim Jager 50w in my 5.5 gallon QT tank. It is a little bulky and had to be put in horizontal (it is too tall to stand upright in the tank).

I'd generally do a 25 for a normal tank, but being a QT I wanted to make sure it could get up to high temperatures fairly quickly (for Ich clearing on new stock), and thus erred on oversizing it..

You may also want to check out this recent thread on nano-tank heaters over in the equipment forum:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/member.php?u=185242

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I use an Azoo micro temp controller and small 10watt 'constant on' style heater from Cobolt (they also have 5 watt). only negative is temp controller is in Celsius not Farenheit and there's no decimal, but its worked great for me so far.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts