The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to streamline maintenance of my high tech tank.

Dose CSM+B supplemented with DTPA iron daily. The potential problem I see, is that when the ferts are mixed with water, they are only in suspension so over time they will precipitate to the bottom. Would I need to shake the auto dosing bottles frequently for it to work? If so, might as well keep dosing by hand.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Once dissolved, the traces will remain in solution, so long as you don't exceed solubility limits. Dosing pumps make life easier. I would also add ascorbic acid (antioxidant) at a rate of 1mg/1ml and potassium sorbate (mold inhibitor) at a rate of 2mg/5ml.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Each compound has a solubility limit, and as long as you don't hit that limit, they won't fall out of solution. If you use Rotalabutterfly, it will warn you if you're going over the solubility of CSM+B with the mix.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Potassium normally is what puts my mixes over the edge. So I dose it as a lump sum after a water change. But as mentioned if solubility is within range it should never precipitate out. I mix CSM and DTPA as well, never had an issue. Warm water helps to dissolve those stubborn granules as well

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, absolutely a dosing pump is worth it especially if you want to dose daily. I use csmb on one of my tanks and dont have the issue of it falling out of solution; I mix it very thoroughly though with a battery operated wisk used for making half-and- half foam cream for my coffee. Try that.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I should add, that with an automatic dosing pump, you can just double or triple the amount of water you add, and then double or triple the daily dose. Shoot, as long as it doesn't flood the tank, you could put your dosing pump hose into a 55g drum and dose a gallon a day if you wanted to. The thing that's important is the amount of the dry fert that makes it into the tank. A large volume of very diluted fertilizer has the same effect as a small volume of very concentrated fertilizer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
What brands of pumps are recommended?

From what I've seen online the Jebao are cheap but not always the most accurate on low doses. People seem to alleviate this with a higher dosing rate of a more diluted mixture. 10 pumps vs 1 pump or something like that if I'm not mistaken. Other pumps are better, but the price goes up quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.