The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing to make progress on my 350 gallon build. Question on water changes.

I recently found out that my water parameters from my tap are less than optimal. Due to this, I am contemplating on setting up an R/O system and remineralizing. Another thing I'm also thinking hard about is setting up and auto water changer that will change around 30 gallons of water per day.

Can I dump the R/O water directly in the tank then set up an auto doser to add the necessary minerals and ferts? My idea is to split the R/O output to dump directly in the sump and the other output to a 55 gallon holding tank. I could then use the holding tank for any larger water changes I would want to do, but the auto changer would be changing roughly 50% of the water weekly (total water volume including sump will be ~500 gallons)

So my main question really comes down to if I can remineralize the R/O water directly in the tank/sump or do I need to remineralize in a separate tank first?

Thank you

·
Registered
340 Posts
A 500 gallon system, thats the largest freshwater set up Ive heard of. With that large a system you would not need to change 50% a week unless/ until you have it loaded with plants and fish. I think youll find 25% sufficient. I have a 60 gallon loaded with stem plants and a light fish load, I dose lean, and only change 25% weekly. Your water volume is 8X that and will stay more stable/ cleaner than mine.

You could use a doser to add calcium, magnesium, and Potassium Carbonate( or baking soda) daily to remineralize. But they would have to be in liquid form so you would need a holding container for each. An alternative would be to use a pre mixed remineralizer such as Seachen Equilibrium; then you would need only one dosing pump head. You would then just have to figure out the concentrate formula and how much to dose each day, which can be done on Rotala Butterfly nutient calculator.

Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So my main question really comes down to if I can remineralize the R/O water directly in the tank/sump or do I need to remineralize in a separate tank first?

Thank you

I prepare 30 gallons of RODI water for the weekly WC and re-constitute it straight in the tank without issue; that is, however, only 16% of tank volume and once a week

At 30 gallons daily I'd be concerned about stability and would lean to remineralizing in a separate tank so it matches your tank's parameters; alternatively, you could do one large 50-60% weekly water change (or, perhaps, a 25% weekly and 25% mid-week) and I think it would have the same affect

If you can get your RO unit humming along at 1:1 product:waste water that's going to be 420 gallons a week...that's a lot of water

·
Registered
158 Posts
You're going to want the auto change water to be pre mixed. I used a 55 gallon drum when I had my 120 gallon reef tank.

The way I had mine automated was I used a float switch in the sump. During normal operation, the float switch would trigger a top off pump to turn on when it went low. During the water change function, the switch turned on a different pump to add fresh saltwater to the tank. I then used a third pump in the sump to pump water out to a drain for a few minutes. The sump would go low and new saltwater would be pumped in.

This worked well for a while, but I eventually disabled it. What I discovered is I still needed to do weekly water changes to vacuum the rocks.

Without premixing the water, it's hard to verify how much nutrients you need to add.

Are you going to be adding other fertilizers separately, or do you intend to use the auto change to add additional ferts too?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have recently setup a RO-DI + remineralization setup with my 75 gallon....which is soon going to have a AWC setup.
Although I am still a newbie for this setup.....here is my 2 cents..

The answer to your question is - it depends on how much water you are going to change every time.

For example, since I do around 2.5 gallon water change daily, I just dump Seachem Equilibrium in the first chamber of my sump, where it dissolves pretty quickly.

If I were to do a large water change, or even the 20% a week type change, I would remineralize before putting in the water.

The idea is to keep the water parameters stable while doing WCs

Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.