The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During the winter my nano loses quite a bit of water to evaporation, not a problem except over long weekends or if I am out for a while.

Been playing this idea through in my head for a while - here is the result!

One aluminum gutter bracket - under $2 at home depot if you need to buy it

It is stiff enough to use, but easy to bend by hand. Nibbled out a hole (don't have snips or a drill here at my desk, just a leatherman type tool)

The result:

On the tank:

A bit of a prototype, so added a saftey strap to the top out of velcro :)

Video in action! About a minute long

http://youtu.be/V58Vf36-vxA?t=14s

Plan on finding a better bottle (the label on this one won't come off cleanly) and taking it off during the day - if it was prettier I would just leave it on. Have to work on a pretty bracket next :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha excellent! I've been contemplating something similar for my 40g sump with a multi gallon bucket on a shelf, a spigot and a tube going to the sump.

well done
one of those rectangular water dispensers that sit on a frig shelf and have a tap on the front would be great for that!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking about the "pretty" version of this, here is my idea. Cut one of these stainless deck post caps on the diagonal and drill a hole in it for the bottle. That is going to be a b*itch of a time to cut and drill though:

3.5" x 3.5" post cap:

I just emailed the company to see if they would charge a fortune to fabricate it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay - here is version 1.1. Trimmed some of the extra metal off neater and bought a 1.5 liter "Fiji" water. The label could be peeled off decently and the square shape seems to be less obtrusive.

What do you think? Too overpowering to leave on all the time?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It would be really cool if you could create one for large tanks as well! But I'm guessing that's going to create a ton of pressure on the tank rim

·
Registered
518 Posts
Great idea and I think it looks good on the tank.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well done, simple and effective. Would definitely consider that if being away from the tank for some time or high evap rates like you have.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have high evap rates and this would really help me out! I will definitely be doing this tonight! Gunna head to lowes here in a few :p Would I have to change the setup much for a rimmed 10 gallon?

·
Registered
129 Posts
It would be really cool if you could create one for large tanks as well! But I'm guessing that's going to create a ton of pressure on the tank rim
my guess is that if you have the rim close enough to a wall, you can put a mount that can support a large enough jug. like those office water cooler jugs?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Simple, cheap, and effective. Great "KISS" type item. Now could it be taken a bit further to get the supply back away from the tank and out of sight?
Since it requires only the airflow into the bottle to let it fill, could one go back away from the tank, use a tube sealed at the reserve and set the extra water back, maybe on a shelf.
That might let you get by with only a tiny airline tube to the tank rather than the whole bottle? I think I could see it working that way as long as they were no droops in the tubing so that the water and air could pass.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bracket seems to handle the weight fine - it has a stiffening crease stamped into it that makes it pretty strong. The stainless brakect I posted would be excellent - the company said they would cut the diagonal for free but I would have to do my own hole saw work.

The bottle doesn't screw into the bracket - the hole is just big enough for the bottle to pass through and screw the cap back on. The bottle cap doesn't hold it to the bracket firmly or anything - the bottle is free to wiggle side to side.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Simple, cheap, and effective. Great "KISS" type item. Now could it be taken a bit further to get the supply back away from the tank and out of sight?
Since it requires only the airflow into the bottle to let it fill, could one go back away from the tank, use a tube sealed at the reserve and set the extra water back, maybe on a shelf.
That might let you get by with only a tiny airline tube to the tank rather than the whole bottle? I think I could see it working that way as long as they were no droops in the tubing so that the water and air could pass.
I actually was inspired by gravity ATO's on reefs forums(especially the small tanks) - very similar to what you described. One that stands out (and I can't find now) was a water just on a shelf to the left of the tank with 2 lines going to the tank. one was for water to flow and the other was for air to flow back to the bottle, sort of a min/max thing going on at the tank side and no 'glugging'

Don't see why this couldn't be extended as well if you wanted to relocate the container.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts