The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a particular 5 gallon tank with my Betta I am paranoid about leaving, when I travel for a week at a time. He has a persistent feeding schedule of twice a day, and I measure out the pellets to three .5mm each serving. He is housed with shrimp and this seems to work if I keep him fed, otherwise he starts hunting and eating shrimp. It may not have been due to food last time I went away, I had someone feed him on my schedule but without my company he may have gotten stressed and attacked the shrimp.

Anyway I have looked at many auto feeders and I need more suggestions on a pellet feeder (he will not eat flakes). The shrimp are not that expensive if he wants to just eat those while I am gone I will put cocktail sauce in the auto feeder hahaha.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
The feeders I have used are something I would recommend. They all seem to have a common fault that I find is worse than just fasting the fish. To assure the food goes into the tank and not the floor, most are placed nearly on top of the trim. This is an area that gets lots of humidity to that the food gets semi-wet. This leaves it prone to one of two things. First is the best and food just doesn't come out. The second is far worse as the food can get clogged in the chute after leaving the hopper. This clog may stay there for several days and each feeding is added to the pile until it breaks loose and several days food is dumped into the tank to pollute things!
I have not found a reliable auto feeder but have finally got one neighbor properly trained to avoid overfeeding. When gone for a few days, the fish fast but when gone for a month, etc. she feeds every couple days.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
A betta shouldn't be fed too much, they are very prone to constipation.
I'm sure it can last a week without a meal. He might be a little peeved, but not dead.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that, and he does not have any constipation or bloating issues on this feeding schedule. I can tell by visually seeing his stomach if he is digesting food fast or not. I just need to work on a solution, those sunflower shaped feeders with separate compartments may be a solution but it would be hard to sync with my pump timer (I shut off the pump during feeding).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.