The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just looked it up, the shrimp lab lists aura blue as being Neocaridina. I believe OEBT are caridina. Please someone confirm this. If this is true, the two can both be put in the same tank.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked it up, the shrimp lab lists aura blue as being Neocaridina. I believe OEBT are caridina. Please someone confirm this. If this is true, the two can both be put in the same tank.
That's where the confusion is, the shrimp lab lists them as Neo's but the canadian shrimp lab say cardina.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Just last night Nikki replied (in her own sub-forum here) that the classification on the US shrimplab page is incorrect.

The Canadian one has them listed as Cardina which should be the current classification.

Mordalphus: any chance that you know of anyone who actually has these so you can shed some light on this controversial breed? When you and shrimpnmoss started posting about your experiences with the Tangerine Tigers is helped to sort of settle down the speculation over that particular breed.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Yes, I know someone who keeps them, (seeing as how I also sell them).

They have the potential to interbreed with CRS/CBS, Tigers, etc.

There have been _NO_ confirmed cases of this happening, but it _IS_ possible.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that the Aura Blues breed true either. Quite a few wholesalers stopped carrying them because they weren't producing any blue offspring and were believe to be dyed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not talking about tangerines. Two different shrimp could have entirely different circumstances. Also, orange isn't nearly as popular as blue color morphs. At any rate, wholesalers have stopped carrying Aura Blues for that reason. However, the first few batches might have been legitimate and breeders/exporters might have started dyeing shrimp to keep up with demand. If anyone on the forum is breeding Aura Blues I'd certainly like to see it to verify that there is indeed a strain that breeds true.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
There are only 2 confirmed suppliers of true Aura Blue shrimp that I know of. As for color, I couldn't tell you as there are only 1-3 people in the US that have confirmed true auras from one of the 2 confirmed suppliers. I can only confirm that there is a possibility of interbreeding. I only have 1 Aura blue myself.

There are quite a few people "selling" aura blues that are not from a reputable dealer of them, but this happens with almost all shrimp that are "rare" and people will argue over true colors and what not. Ask Chad, he had them and he can tell you if they remain blue or not.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Currently there is only one person in America with aura blues. You will only find your information from him or from nikki or liam. This species is new to the states so you are most likely thinking of something else.

·
Banned
341 Posts
This is a Caridina species same line as tangerine tigers but achieving blue is one of the harder colors of all shrimps to stabilize and breed true. However Aura blue does in fact breed true.

I'm not entirely sure that the Aura Blues breed true either. Quite a few wholesalers stopped carrying them because they weren't producing any blue offspring and were believe to be dyed.
:hihi: name 1 buyer that has ever bought aura blues and bred them that didn't breed true.

·
Registered
175 Posts
:hihi: name 1 buyer that has ever bought aura blues and bred them that didn't breed true.
The problem is that I can't name anyone who has had them breed true.

Firstly, we have to point out that "Aura Blues" are really just "Fire Blues" by a different name. I don't personally know any hobbyists who have bought or bred either of them, but I do know several reputable wholesalers. What I'd like to find is someone in the hobby (not a retailer) that has bred them and can provide images of their colony along with berried females and blue juveniles mixed in with their colony. I know, it's a steep request, but I'm looking for actual documentation from a reputable hobbyist. Should be pretty interesting. If there are indeed two stains (One that breeds true and one that is dyed) then we need to get that figured out. If they do indeed breed true, then I'd be more interested in acquiring some as I imagine others would.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
This is a Caridina species same line as tangerine tigers but achieving blue is one of the harder colors of all shrimps to stabilize and breed true. However Aura blue does in fact breed true.

At the price that Aura Blues are commanding I would think that the onus would be on the seller to provide even one buyer that has bought Aura Blues and had them breed true.

For all of the furor over these shrimp when you announced the naming and what I am sure is going to arise now that Nikki and Liam are marketing them a bit more the mention of a 'Chad' a few posts above is the first time in all of my searching on the subject (which is obviously limited to English language sources) that I have seen mention of any specific North American buyer who has enough experience with them to vouch for them.

Both Nikki and Liam have strong reputations in the community for good reasons but when there is an almost total void of information on this breed of shrimp it is asking a LOT of customers to simply take it on faith that a new to the hobby breed is exactly as advertised.

·
Banned
341 Posts
The problem is that I can't name anyone who has had them breed true.

Firstly, we have to point out that "Aura Blues" are really just "Fire Blues" by a different name. I don't personally know any hobbyists who have bought or bred either of them, but I do know several reputable wholesalers. What I'd like to find is someone in the hobby (not a retailer) that has bred them and can provide images of their colony along with berried females and blue juveniles mixed in with their colony. I know, it's a steep request, but I'm looking for actual documentation from a reputable hobbyist. Should be pretty interesting. If there are indeed two stains (One that breeds true and one that is dyed) then we need to get that figured out. If they do indeed breed true, then I'd be more interested in acquiring some as I imagine others would.
MrFusion,
posting pictures that is simple. But you've made a very serious claim that defames the creator of aura blue (Fu Shrimp). Name one of the "several reputable wholesalers" thats making this claim and I will pass this on to Fu and you will get what you want once we clear this claim and will make it public. A picture with a happy loving family of all blue colored Aura blues will be rewarded to your eyes. I don't think that's asking too much. If the question at first was to just simply request a photo and instead of defaming it all at 1 shot.

I'm not trying to link this to you. I just want to know who made that accusation. Reason being is if that were true. Why is Fu still standing as a leading wholsaler of shrimp :hihi:

1 - 20 of 283 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.