The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a newbie question but, has anyone tried aquascaping with various types of algae? Seems like such a struggle to keep it out of our aquariums. Why not invite it to the party? I don't mean to get real philosophical with this.

Has anyone given "algae-scaping" a try?

Registered
My turtle tanks have some lovely flowing bba that the guppy fry loved to play in lol. I have some pretty algae formations going on in my 40b low tech. I wouldn't call it algaescaping, though, more like accepting that I've got things going on in a few of my tanks that mean I'll always be battling algae. I have some green algae in a couple of my tanks that pearl better than most plants I've seen 馃槈 but I don't think this counts either.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My turtle tanks have some lovely flowing bba that the guppy fry loved to play in lol. I have some pretty algae formations going on in my 40b low tech. I wouldn't call it algaescaping, though, more like accepting that I've got things going on in a few of my tanks that mean I'll always be battling algae. I have some green algae in a couple of my tanks that pearl better than most plants I've seen 馃槈 but I don't think this counts either.
Seems like it is a beauty is in the eye of the beholder situation. From what I have learned, it can be managed to be snuffed out. It canbalso be let go and snuff out a whole aquarium. There has to to be some sort of a throttle to its growth.

Am I just talking myself into an experiment?

Registered
Seems like it is a beauty is in the eye of the beholder situation. From what I have learned, it can be managed to be snuffed out. It canbalso be let go and snuff out a whole aquarium. There has to to be some sort of a throttle to its growth.

Am I just talking myself into an experiment?
馃槀 I'm already in my own with my 40b. I know there's a piece of driftwood in there making a mess (it's decomposing) and the tank is in direct sunlight.. Algae experiments are fun. I've got my tank as controlled with algae as I can (ferts are balanced, water quality is spot on). Algae is 100% predictable in that tank- I know exactly what type and where it will show up.

I 100% agree with your reasoning, but, yes, you are talking yourself into an experiment. You will have a ton of fun, but you may crash a tank doing so. If you do decide to do this experiment I suggest using as basic as you can for a tank set up and play with 1 influence at a time. Forgo co2 until the end (if you bother with it) and use and inert substrate with root tabs where needed. This will give you, personally, the most influence on the composition of your water. I would LOVE to see this play out lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.