The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, is there some rule of thumb/guidelines for attributing holes in plants to nutrient deficiency or snails? I've had 1-3 inches of growth in the past 2 weeks, but now I'm noticing small holes in some of the Wisteria leaves (seems like that's the only one, I don't see holes on the water sprites or anubias).

This also seems to coincide with a small population boom in snails, but is there a good way of determining nutrient deficiency vs. snails?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Was able to find a section of the Wisteria that shows what I'm talking about. The holes look a little "clean-cut" with sharp edges as opposed to melting/deterioration, and there are snail droppings on the leaves, if this helps. So far, I'm thinking the culprits are the snails..

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K deficiency appears as tiny pinholes, often with a faint yellowish outline, and it always affects older leaves first.
Ah, these holes seem to be on the newer leaves, and have no faint yellow outline that I can see. They also are irregular shaped, not really circular.

·
Planted Tanker
6,078 Posts
Ah, these holes seem to be on the newer leaves, and have no faint yellow outline that I can see. They also are irregular shaped, not really circular.
A lot of that looks like mechanical damage, however, the small common snails that usually show up in our aquariums are simply not equipped to damage an otherwise healthy plant. They can make short work of damaged or unhealthy tissue though.

Some of those leaves looks like the plant is still converting from being emersed grown. That could explain why snails are able to eat through the leaves, because they are degrading and will eventually die off. This is a normal part of the adaptation process.

Im just speculating of course, but that could be what is happening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.