The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I've been thinking about using Attison's Betta Spa or Indian Almond Leaves in my tank. Both products state that they lower Ph. My concern is that the KH/Ph/CO2 relation chart won't be useful since something else than CO2 is messing with the Ph.

In another thread I found a post saying that:
In short, the kH/pH/CO2 relationship only works if carbonates are the only buffer present in the water. Unfortunately, in the aquarium, we often add phosphates for the benefit of plants, and the presence of these buffers will throw off the relationship.

As a result, using a drop checker with a 4 dkH reference solution (whereby the only buffering agent present is carbonate) is more accurate than using the kH/pH/CO2 relationship when measuring the kH and pH of the aquarium water (as opposed to the water in a drop checker).
So my questions are:

If I'm dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4, then is the KH/Ph/CO2 relation already off?

Could someone tell me how a "drop checker" works or where do I find the information?

Has anyone have had experience with either the Betta Spa or the IAL in planted tanks?

Regards.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Keep in mind that the tannins from the Betta Spa or IAL will also block light from the plants. How much depends on the levels of the tannins, which also will fluctuate over time. In the wild, heavily tannin-stained water doesn't support the growth of most aquatic plants.

Check out www.GreenLeafAquariums.com for drop checkers. Basically, there is a set/calibrated 4dkH solution in them that then will give you a more accurate "read" on the CO2 levels over guesstimating using a chart.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind that the tannins from the Betta Spa or IAL will also block light from the plants. How much depends on the levels of the tannins, which also will fluctuate over time. In the wild, heavily tannin-stained water doesn't support the growth of most aquatic plants.

Check out www.GreenLeafAquariums.com for drop checkers. Basically, there is a set/calibrated 4dkH solution in them that then will give you a more accurate "read" on the CO2 levels over guesstimating using a chart.
That's a good point. I didn't think about that, but it seems that Ocean Nutrition did and have developed the same product but clear. I just need to find it somewhere.

Keep in mind that the kh/ph/co2 chart doesn't work already, assuming that your water has ANYTHING in it at all.
I guess a drop checker is my next purchase then... Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts