The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have all been missing out! Lets be honest, that case that's included with the API master test kit is crap. So I went on the search for something better. Scanning amazon, there were a few different racks that would hold the api tubes, but none that would hold the bottles as well. This was quite important to me, so I kept looking. Just when I was about to accept defeat, I stumbled upon this review. Let me just say bravo, Paul Ferguson. This is his brainchild. The only modification I made to his design was adding a slot in the middle of the rack for the color charts. For those interested in doing this yourself, here is the link to the product. I used a 932 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone on my dremel for the entire project. I found that it was perfect to create the rounded corners I was after. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice idea! Thanks for sharing.
The existing test kit has been driving me nuts. I was about to slice two of them apart and glue the matching halves together to have tubes in one place and bottles in another.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Love it! I have a test tube rack and put everything in a plastic shoe box. But the bottles fall over and it's still a mess, albeit contained in one plastic box.

I may give this a shot, although I have more than just one Master Test Kit. I also use pipettes (not syringes) that make it so much simpler to transfer water from the tank to the test tube. I don't know why people use syringes - just buy those disposable plastic pipettes. They come in 1 mL, 3 mL and larger sizes with graduated 1mL markings. You can cut the tip if you need to suck up blackworms too. Good for water testing as well as spot dosing Excel without the hassle of a syringe with a barrel.

I'll have to rethink parts of the rack. Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check out those pipettes, haven't thought of it yet! I have the syringes mostly for measuring out ferts. Thanks :)

Love it! I have a test tube rack and put everything in a plastic shoe box. But the bottles fall over and it's still a mess, albeit contained in one plastic box.

I may give this a shot, although I have more than just one Master Test Kit. I also use pipettes (not syringes) that make it so much simpler to transfer water from the tank to the test tube. I don't know why people use syringes - just buy those disposable plastic pipettes. They come in 1 mL, 3 mL and larger sizes with graduated 1mL markings. You can cut the tip if you need to suck up blackworms too. Good for water testing as well as spot dosing Excel without the hassle of a syringe with a barrel.

I'll have to rethink parts of the rack. Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry to wander - just more thoughts:

Use the Bettix bottles for measuring out ferts if you make your own. Love these. This is a 1 liter bottle with attached measuring reservoir. Makes fert dosing super easy. Also comes as a 500 mL bottle but I don't recommend the 2 liter bottle as it's very inaccurate. Hard to see the raised graduated markings so I outlined my target 30 mL dosing with a Sharpie pen.

I taped an old test tube onto my Excel bottle to hold a 3mL plastic disposable pipette. Makes dosing and measuring Excel quick and accurate, especially if you are dosing a small tank.

Two different disposable plastic pipettes that are very useful for all kind of things aquarium related.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts