The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I am very interested to see how things go. It would be nice to get advice from someone who has actually accomplished this!
There is a pretty comprehensive guide floating around somewhere on the web from someone who did it. I remember reading it a few months ago but I can't remember where I found it. Nice to know that it can be done.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Just saw your videos. Nice. I can't get good shot of mine like that.

I'm currently working with a few different species to include the Amano. Drop me a line if you want to compare notes sometime. I have one remaining shrimpet that I am moving back to freshwater at the moment. A few batches of zoea in grow out tanks.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm going to try this as well, though I doubt with any kind of success. I saw some amano loving going on earlier, so I hope to have a berried shrimp or two in the near future. I'm wondering about feeding the zoea though, as I plan on keeping them in a brackish tank with Hawaiian red shrimp rather than starting up a separate rearing tank for them. <-- The reason why I doubt I'll succeed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just noticed today that one shrimp has already made the transition from zoe to a miniature shrimp. This was much sooner than I was expecting. It's only about 20 days from hatching. I am currently looking for an opportunity to capture him on video, but now that he has legs and swim fast, he's playing hard to get.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.

I think it is looking like between 10 and 15 if everything goes ok. I think that is not bad for my first time, but it could have been better for sure.

I woke up this morning to a 2nd miniature shrimp from the batch. I think a few of the others are not far behind.

Does anyone know how long I can/should leave the new miniature shrimp in saltwater before starting the acclimation to freshwater?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Does anyone know how long I can/should leave the new miniature shrimp in saltwater before starting the acclimation to freshwater?
What I did was as soon as they no longer had any redish tint to them, I started the migration. I lost most of them during this process which leads me to believe I either moved them too soon or too fast. My last remaining shrimp is going to fresh very slow. He's still hanging in there with me.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Interesting work. One youtube video I watched, the guy just had them in a container and said each day he took out about half the saltwater and replaced with freshwater, so that would have been a really fast transition really.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My first acclimation was only over 24 hours and he is still alive. I started with 2fl oz of the salt water from the tank and added 1fl oz of fresh water, from the tank he was going to be put in, about 4 times over 24 hours. Then I just dumped him in.

It seems to me that they should be able to survive a much quicker transition due to the nature of their natural habitat. I don't necessarily feel the need to test the limits, but just saying.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have done this a couple of times. My first attempt failed miserably. My second was a bit better in that I got 2 zoes to morph into shrimp. I moved them into 3 different containers with less salt content each for 2 days and then dropped them alive and well into a 5 gal heavily planted tank that only contained the 2 amano shrimplets. But I never saw them again. Maybe I moved them to quickly.
What salinity did you use to keep them in and how did you lower it for the morphed shrimp?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.