The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large piece of water logged wood that I want to attach Moss and Javafern too. There are several pieces that have already attached naturally, but along with newly purchased plants, I have tons of itty bitty baby plants I would like to attach also. The piece of wood is too large to wrap thread or fishing line around. So what do I do? If I can help it, I would prefer not to move the wood out of the aquarium as it barely fits in the aquarium and once I move it I will have trouble getting it to the bottom of the sand again lol (but that may not be possible, and I can remove it --- I''ll just have to do all the work I need in one operation :-D )

Its going to look awsome once its all filled in with moss too... but that also isn't working so well. I half-hazzardly tried to attach java moss to it with thread about a year ago. Only a few fragments (all less then 1 inch) are still attached in various places. The pieces attached seem to be branching out strait into the water, and not onto the wood. Should I get a different species of moss? I am willing to buy some more moss - but I don't know how to attach it because the piece of wood is really too large to effectivly wrap thread around.

I have read about using staples, but is that really safe? And can staples be used to attach java fern?

EDIT: One more thing, what can I do to try to increase java fern growth? Fertilizer wise?

thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Honestly Even on big logs I lay out the moss the way I want it and then proceed to wrap thread around the whole thing until the moss is secured. By the time the moss starts to grow and connect to the wood the thread should start to rot out. I know it doesn't look good but the results are what you care about. Just use a color thread that would be the most inconspicuous.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you ever buy a bag of Pastacio nuts (spell), the bag that they come in makes a good mesh large enough to allow plants to work their way through. Although I don't think the bag will rot. You may have to cut it off later. You can staple of maybe use thumb tacks to hold it in place.

Maybe an onion bag that has been cleaned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.