The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if there are any other ways to attach a background to my tank without useing tape? i've read that some use vasoline, does that actually last? i just dont like the tape showing, does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Vaseline I would think would make the background look blotchy. When I used backgrounds I simply made sure the background was snug to the trim of the tank and used a small amount of tape to the trim. You would never see the tape as it was on the outside of the background and trim.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Blown makes a good point that I haven't thought of (was just thinking about adding a background myself). There is a seam in the back. If the background is cut accurately enough to end within the seam, the tape could also be attached to the back within the seam and never be visibile.

Wish I thought of that before I filled the tank with water!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used soap and water with a squeegee. I put it on like car window tint. Looks good, no bubbles, not coming off. Been on for 4 years now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you considered paint? Not sure what background your wanting to put on, but if it's a solid color i would definitely go with oil based paint. I used it on my 55G to put a black background on, I'm very pleased with the results and it was easy to do! Took about 4 coats of rustoleum flat black oil. If you don't like it or want to change it, you can scrape it off with a razor blade pretty easily... if your aquarium is glass that is. =)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, after messing around with it i finally tried the soap and water, just wet a couple folded paper towels and dabbed a little soap on it, i was amazed how easy it was to get it on there, it looks like it was put on in the factory or something, and so far its staying, so thanks for the tips guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts