The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a foam and rock background in my 210 tank and I'm wanting to attach some anubias in various places. I don't want to use superglue because I may need to remove them in the future for some reason and don't want to destroy my background. Has anyone ever used a straight pin to attach a plant. I so can it go through the rhizome? Any advise or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I never thought of a pin. I use super glue. Since you mentioned a background I think your only options will be super glue or perhaps a pin could work. Also zip ties work in other scenarios but N/A in this case.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
While I haven't tried the following method, some people use U-shaped hair pins cut to length needed. You might also consider using a paper clip cut to the proper length, maybe even a plastic one if you are worried about using a metal one.

You wouldn't need to pierce the rhizome using this method, just clip it around a section of it.

Reactions: #DizzyIzzy1

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I've used plastic push pins to attach to driftwood. Typically I could get them to stay in place by putting them through a tangle in the roots and kind of pin them against the wood with the plastic head. They do rust after a bit but doesn't seem to cause an issue. I've had dozens of them in a tank before. I think I stole the idea from Tom Barr.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
I've used plastic push pins to attach to driftwood. Typically I could get them to stay in place by putting them through a tangle in the roots and kind of pin them against the wood with the plastic head. They do rust after a bit but doesn't seem to cause an issue. I've had dozens of them in a tank before. I think I stole the idea from Tom Barr.
Yeah, pins should be fine, I use them for javas on wood. same way, kinda make a tangled mass and push in pretty tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As others are stating a plastic u pin would work, google u pin. Piercing the rhizome would likely be ok but why cause damage when a u-pin should work just fine. Just angle it downwards and golden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.