The Planted Tank Forum banner

ATN: Those using coal slag, I have a question!

3154 7
I am going to replant my tank using a finer substrate than Flourite and want something black. Also wanted to avoid sand. I would've liked to get some ColorQuartz but its not made anymore so the next best thing is likely 20-40 or 30-60 coal slag.

Anyway, my question is this: do you find that the iron content is high enough in coal slag by itself or do you have to supplement it with something or make up for it with dosing iron? I'm having a hard time finding info on how well it holds nutrients also, does it do a fair job overall? How does it perform? I'm also thinking of leaving an inch thick layer of Flourite under the coal slag. I'm not sure of my logic on that last idea, I just like it I guess.

If anyone who has used or is currently using coal slag could contribute pictures or experiences, I would greatly appreciate it!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Coal slag has iron?

I use it in my 5 gallon shrimp tank. It doesn't have any CEC so it won't absorb any liquid ferts. I use root tabs buried deep into the substrate. A lot of people use it to cap dirt.

Here's my 5 gallon.

Lots of crypts, all fed with root tabs. Anything that leaches out from the substrate feeds the floaters.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input and picture! I don't know if it has iron or not. I don't believe it does, I'm just trying to find out for sure.

So maybe the inch layer of Flourite would help with the nutrient storage issue. I could couple that with root tabs in deeper areas of substrate I guess.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
zilch, nada, nope, none
This is a high temp fired product with nothing provided but an anchorage point for the roots, same plant nutrient value as sand,, none
(but it looks good LOL)

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
There are no bioavailable nutrients in coal slag.

Btw, there is a "replacement" for color quartz. I'm on mobile so I can't look it up(am too lazy) but a little leg work finds it.

It is priced higher than 3m was. But not terrible.

I'm lookin into another product and will pass it on if it works.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a product called Spectraquartz, but it seems to only be available in the Northern US. At more than double the cost of coal slag no less. With properties similar to coal slag, I just can't justify the cost or effort in hunting a different product down.

If you know of anything else similar, please let me know. Especially if it has some sort of CEC value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.