The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now imagine you have a ph controller taking care of your CO2 dosing. You check your degassed ph on Monday, and you see 7.2. You set your ph controller to shut off at 6.2. By Saturday, your degassed ph is 7.7, but your controller is still pushing CO2 to 6.2. That's a pretty big drop, and will definitely start gassing fish.
This is super interesting and absolutely worth knowing. With that said - I did run a drop checker for weeks confirming my level, I also found my PH to be pretty constant a day or so after my water change (when not using injection). I guess I could also tune my apex to compensate for it as well...either way it's good to know this info. I just worry about NOT using a PH controller and not putting in enough CO2 - as it seems maxing CO2 is a major weapon against algae issues.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Now imagine you have a ph controller taking care of your CO2 dosing. You check your degassed ph on Monday, and you see 7.2. You set your ph controller to shut off at 6.2. By Saturday, your degassed ph is 7.7, but your controller is still pushing CO2 to 6.2. That's a pretty big drop, and will definitely start gassing fish.
This is super interesting and absolutely worth knowing. With that said - I did run a drop checker for weeks confirming my level, I also found my PH to be pretty constant a day or so after my water change (when not using injection). I guess I could also tune my apex to compensate for it as well...either way it's good to know this info. I just worry about NOT using a PH controller and not putting in enough CO2 - as it seems maxing CO2 is a major weapon against algae issues.
Take a look at the CO2 section in the journal in my signature, and you can see how I tuned mine in. It's a little complicated, but I think you can optimize better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm just offering a follow-up here. Based on some trial and error, it looks like my lighting was the problem. I have a Twinstar 1200SA and it is just WAY too strong. I dimmed it to 75% for five hours, and then 5% ramp up/down for an hour on each side. Algae is disappearing quickly. Whew!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Phosphate is the cause of hair algae.
Using a lower light level can knock it back but it still has the fuel it needs to grow. An it will adjust to the lower light levels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Phosphate is the cause of hair algae.
Using a lower light level can knock it back but it still has the fuel it needs to grow. An it will adjust to the lower light levels.
Strange because my phosphates are never over 2 or 3. shrug

21 - 25 of 25 Posts