The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a thread and gsa problem for a while now. Gsa has plagued my glass and anubais, and thread algae has started to move from my mosses to my regular plants. I dose ei. The thing is I've already stopped dosing iron, and upped my phosphate dosing. When I did that gsa growth stopped, but thread algae growth increased. What should I do? I'm getting in some cherries next week to try to help. I just hope they don't die on me.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
i think thread algae is kinda pretty. GSA is a part of any tank.. but if there's a lot of it i guess it doesn't look too pretty. Just lower you photo period?.

the only bad algae is BGA.

oh, you use a UV sterilizer? isn't that bad for micronutrients esp. iron?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
anthony, if you've uped your PO4 enough, the GSA will not come back. i know here in baton rouge, i have to dose almost 1/16 Tsp in order to keep it at bay.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Have you thought about the high amount of light you have in your tank? 4.8 wpg is too much if you're having algae issues. As 'green' mentioned, try reducing your photoperiod to 7-8 hours if you're going to keep that much light on at once.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have all the lights on all day. I have 1 bulb on 3 hours, then both on 3 hours, then 1 on three hours. I'm thinking of throwing in a lot of fast growers as this is starting to get out of hand after I lessened the amount of plants in the tank.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Anthony...cherries don't really go after it. If you can find some Cherry barbs or some Amano shrimp, they go after it. Take out as much as you can with a comb/toothbrush...and prune.
In addition, maybe get some floaters to soak up some nutirents..get some floating water lettuce or something if you don't want to add a bunch more fast growers....that will help.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah right about now I'm wishing I hadn't taken out all the duckweed that was in there.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't take it anymore. I've been pulling out a large amount of thread and hair algae daily for the past 3 weeks. Now today I see some bga creeping on the substrate. Gonna do the whole blackout routine. I always came out good with it so, I hope it gets the job done. I'm gonna try and skimp a little on the excel though since my b. auberti is just starting to recover from the last treatment.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
try the blackout for sure at thins point...do you have pressuruzed CO2?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep pressurized co2 with a pH controller and rhinox 5000. I had started to notice it a week after I installed the rhinox. So I figured that I wasn't getting the same co2 dissolved in the water, so I lowered the pH setting to the lowest I could without overly stressing my rainbowfish. Still it grew so then I thought I wasn't getting the bubbles distributed evenly, so I moved my spraybar to a verticle position and put the diffusor under the spraybar. Now almost no bubbles reach the surface without it being blown around the tank a little, but this stuff still was growing. Espcecially on my substrate and glosso which is now experiencing a lot more water flow. I also recalibrated my pH probe and moved it as far away from my diffusor as possible. I even double checked it with a pH test and it matched up. Ph measures 6.5 at shut off 6.6 when it turns on, and my kH is 5.6 degrees. Someone metioned I should lower my buffer but I don't know if that would help. Does this algae feed on high carbonates or something? I've even lost a leapord pleco, a tiger botia, and an oto over this. I did lower the plant biomass by a substantial bit so maybe this triggered it. I'm getting in some downio, bacopa colorata, and a bag of mixed rotala species to plant in time for the blackout to be over. Plus the extra growth from the blackout should give me a lot of plants to bump up the plant count a bit. I hope this will help things after the blackout is over.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
wow....this really stinks. I am so sorry this is happening. I too installed a Rhinox 5000 and took my Aqua Medic 1000 out of the line I will see how it goes.
I definitely think the change in plant mass has a lot to do with it. As a general rule, when I lower my plant mass substantially, I also lower my photoperiod accordingly. You can't have the same light blasting something that doesn't need as much. This could certainly be the cause of the bloom. Waterchanges and lower the lights....keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't I have a lot of high light requiring plants in there. Glosso, l. glandulosa, r. macrandra ect. So I at least need the midday burst. I wasn't having any BIG problems until I rescaped my tank. So hopefully the blackout will kill the algae, and my plants will arrive in time to compete with the algae. Will otos eat hair algae? I got some shrimp in last week, but my male german ram decided to eat all 25+ of them in an hour or 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts