The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an assorted sword plant from Petsmart and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what kind it is. I have attached a picture of it.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was thinking something closer to kleiner bar, but let it grow some submerged leaves and ask again with a new photo.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I was thinking something closer to kleiner bar, but let it grow some submerged leaves and ask again with a new photo.
Honestly i believe that if its from petsmart it will most likely be an amazon. every time i go there its only amazon or micros, never kleiner bar.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Agreed, it just seems to have a bit too much red in it compared to what I'm used to seeing in amazons.
it does have a redish tint but that could also be the lighting, the only other thing i could think of would be an indian, but i have those and this looks nothing like it.

My final ID is an Amazon, most common, and being from petsmart, most likely

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would agree, definitely an Amazon Sword. Don't panic when those round leaves begin to melt away, they are emersed growth, the submersed leaves will be different. Make sure you are supplementing the gravel with root tabs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought this is what an amazon sword looks like:

Are there different kinds of amazon swords? The plants I have look like this one. I'm just making sure that I have IDed them correctly.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Your's is an amazon sword, its leaves are the submerged form, the original one above is emersed leaves. And you have id'd them correctly

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The sword looks more like a 'Rose' type than an Amazon to me. I don't know its parentage but it has been around for a while now, got rid of mine years and years ago. Grows huge and can easily fill a 24x24" space. Very beautiful and reproduces via flower stems that grow plantlets.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The sword looks more like a 'Rose' type than an Amazon to me. I don't know its parentage but it has been around for a while now, got rid of mine years and years ago. Grows huge and can easily fill a 24x24" space. Very beautiful and reproduces via flower stems that grow plantlets.
I see what you mean.

Can you possibly post updated pictures when new growth starts to appear?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Found a photo of my first big tank, 5'x2'x2'. 'Rose' is on the left and Amazon sword is on the right. See the difference in the greens and the leaf shape?
I see what you mean, i still think it's an amazon but i guess only time can tell, however the leaves look like a rose though, ecspecially with the color that is shown.

Bobby: Is there any chance you can get more pictures?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Based on the coloration in those pictures it does look like an amazon sword. Once some submerged growth appears that can help confirm or deny. I think you'll be ok putting the sword in your 55 if it is an amazon. Those really don't require much light.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I just picked up 2 of these in a packet, ill grow them out as well, mabey we can get 2 different perspectives going here, that could help id it, i also agree with the rose sword though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm gunna keep it in my 15 gallon for now. I am wondering if I need to use co2? It's the only plant in the tank and all I've used so far is root tabs.?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts