The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
@rich_one

I guess we ask for proof so much because if certain things are brought up all the time and there's no evidence to back it up and it is continously brought up without proof, people might misunderstand it and take it as a fact.

Yeah, it can happen. Me, southern and a few members here have questioned it for awhile and still wonder about it even till this day. Unproven information that's taken as facts can sometimes cause harm to the person that's misinterpreting it. I should know since I've made that mistake more times than I want to admit.

But I understand what you're saying. Proof isn't always easy to get. Ebihua is a nice guy and honestly, I'm mostly passive on this. Just have a good time on here lol, glad we can talk it out.

I'm gonna go watch Family Matters!!! Got every season! With my PC, TV is completely useless.
that is true, actually... I have seen the same thing with discus, and I have done some things to disprove many myths about them, that carried over from the early days of keeping wild caught discus. so yes... definitely proof is better than no proof... I certainly agree with that. but yeah... this is a very interesting conversation, and I have to say, I look forward to learning more about these assassins. I will certainly post things I learn about them here, but there is a very good account of some of their behavior up at another forum I can pm to you if you would like... I do not know what the policy is here regarding putting links to other forums, and do not want to violate any such policies.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interesting thread !

I think Assassins snails will eat everything (live or dead), if they can catch in the tank.

So, I believe Assassins snails do eat shirmps !
I have close to 60 assassins in a tank with 100+ shrimp and have had for awhile now so if assassins ate shrimp I think I would have seen it by now, so you see why I'm finding it real hard to believe not impossible just hard to believe.

I had a large assassin snail die in the tank and the other assassins would not touch the body so to say they eat anything dead or alive that they can catch is not true either. Assassins are specailized scavenagers of meaty leftovers that have just happened to find out that they can catch snails. I have seen shrimp steal, climb on, ride on, and pick at the assassins and they just ingore them. I think if shrimp were a food source they would be a little bit more cautious or the assassins more aggressive.

But like a lot of stuff in this hobby both true and untrue proof is needed. Through out the years there have been a lot of untruths that still live today based on someone saying it is so and someone else running with it. I think today we question things more because we have learned so much in the last few years about our hobby that once we thought were gospel are really just someones point of view.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have close to 60 assassins in a tank with 100+ shrimp and have had for awhile now so if assassins ate shrimp I think I would have seen it by now, so you see why I'm finding it real hard to believe not impossible just hard to believe.

I had a large assassin snail die in the tank and the other assassins would not touch the body so to say they eat anything dead or alive that they can catch is not true either. Assassins are specailized scavenagers of meaty leftovers that have just happened to find out that they can catch snails. I have seen shrimp steal, climb on, ride on, and pick at the assassins and they just ingore them. I think if shrimp were a food source they would be a little bit more cautious or the assassins more aggressive.

But like a lot of stuff in this hobby both true and untrue proof is needed. Through out the years there have been a lot of untruths that still live today based on someone saying it is so and someone else running with it. I think today we question things more because we have learned so much in the last few years about our hobby that once we thought were gospel are really just someones point of view.
dude... your thread at the other forum is the one I am referring to... LOTS of great info in that one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks I'm trying to get the most accurate information I can in one place.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh.... I see !
What if not feed them couple weeks? See what happen ?
Done that they have been more than a month without live snails and have still not attacked anything else.....

They go back to scavenaging when there is not enough snails or live ones large enough for them to eat. Assassins will only take on certain sizes of snails compared to what size the assassin is. So when you dump say 5 adults in a tank and they take every snail out medium size and up they stop feeding on live snails and start feeding on detritus and other things like left over food. They will continue to do so until some of the smaller snails get to dinner size. So if they were gonna feed on shrimp they would do so during the time when there is no snails large enough or any in the tank at all.

Because of how the assassins work I have a 29 gallon that the Assassins go thru a period of a month or more waiting for the snails in the tank to reach feeding size. I have not seen a single one eat a Shrimp/Fish/Other Assassin during that time unless dead. As a matter of fact during most of the time when there are no snails of desired size they are half buried in the gravel and hardly move. I have one that started to grow alage.....:eek5:

It isn't that I'm not saying it can happen but reliable and proof backed information is lacking. Also with the number of people that are keeping assassins in with their shrimp you would think that you would hear more account of them eating shrimp.

I make daily observations of my tanks at least 3 times a day and sometime for an hour or more I just sit and watch what is happening.... Like I found out that not only do Damsel Fly Larvae eat shrimp but they also eat Palanaria go figure, but unless I can capture in in an image I would not expect anyone to take my word for it.

Yes I know I need a Life but that is the advantage of being retired....:)

No one is saying that it didn't or couldn't happen, but to make a blanket statement that they eat shrimp based on an observation that did not include the actual capture brings forth a lot of questions and cast a shadow of doubt on the whole thing. Lord knows I have been guilty of jumping to a conclusion before.

Once I have enough to start another tank I plan on putting only assassins and shrimp in the tank no snails. I also plan to let the shrimp survive on nothing but Bio-film so that there will be no introduced food. If they are gonna eat the shrimp they will do so at that time. This is all part of an experiment to answer more questions like this one that are floating around out there.

It is threads and questions like this that keep me going. Most of the info on Asassins is more factual like where they live etc. That type of info is easy to gather but daily observations to hammer out what they really do or don't do is sorely lacking.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No problem these guys have kind of become and obsession for me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Okay there are 3 of us that are going to try and see if we can create the conditions and get an assasssin to take down a healthy shrimp.

• One of us has 30 shrimp with 75 assassins
  • One is going to add quite a few assassins to his shrimp tank
  • and I'm gonna do what I said above for about a month to 2 months time to test out the theory

·
Registered
251 Posts
There should be no problems none of us that I know of have been able to get an assassin to eat a healthy shrimp.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have one Assassin in my 5 Gallon hex tank with 2 Amano Shrimp and a Otocat. It has been about 2 weeks and the since the tank has a serious snail problem the Assassin has not been fed. The only thing I observed is the Amano Shrimp tap dancing on the Assassin snail's shell. Lol, it is almost like the shrimp enjoy toying with the Assassin.

I have another 5 gallon with 1 Amano Shrimp, a Endler's Live Bearer, and a Dwarf Aquatic Frog. I chucked an Assasin in that tank. I noticed that it does feed on some of the frozen blood worms that I throw in for the Dwarf Aquatic Frog. So far the Amano Shrimp has not been attacked as near as I can see the Dwarf Frog still has all its limbs intact.

I also chucked an Assassin in a 10 gallon with 5 Amano Shrimp. It has been a few weeks, and I have noticed no missing Amanos.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have one Assassin in my 5 Gallon hex tank with 2 Amano Shrimp and a Otocat. It has been about 2 weeks and the since the tank has a serious snail problem the Assassin has not been fed. The only thing I observed is the Amano Shrimp tap dancing on the Assassin snail's shell. Lol, it is almost like the shrimp enjoy toying with the Assassin.

I have another 5 gallon with 1 Amano Shrimp, a Endler's Live Bearer, and a Dwarf Aquatic Frog. I chucked an Assasin in that tank. I noticed that it does feed on some of the frozen blood worms that I throw in for the Dwarf Aquatic Frog. So far the Amano Shrimp has not been attacked as near as I can see the Dwarf Frog still has all its limbs intact.

I also chucked an Assassin in a 10 gallon with 5 Amano Shrimp. It has been a few weeks, and I have noticed no missing Amanos.
Amanos are huge and are generally in no threat to many predators, including the snails. So I'm not and will not be surprised if the amanos live their lives perfectly fine.
However, I still stand by my word, with the fact that assassins do, can and WILL eat a healthy dwarf shrimp if the opportunity arises. Does this happen often? No, not at all. Almost never, hence why people almost never see it and take it hard to believe. Because of this, I will still be surprised if I hear another similar story to my own.

Shrimp, for the most part, are 99% safe with assassins. Just keep in mind that 1% chance.
Of course, not everyone will accept this belief that I carry. To each his own.
FYI, I keep my assassins with shrimp still, I know it's EXTREMELY rare for it to ever happen again to my colony. :fish:

·
Registered
52 Posts
well... I figure I should update this with my observations so far.

so far, I have not had any attack on my shrimp. in fact, I actually watched an assassin snail approach one of my shrimp, and the shrimp did not move, so the assassin simply changed direction. the shrimp in the tank with them are red cherries.

anyway, they have not been in too long together, so there is still more data I need to collect... so I am not saying they won't eat the shrimp... just saying the one I witnessed did not seem to have any interest in trying, and the shrimp did not appear to have any fear of being eaten by it.

-Rich

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cool its only cos I saw it on another forum too.

Will they eat marble sized apple snails? (if they do I can easily moved the apples before I put the assassins in).

Thanks
The snails will be a target so move them.

Still have not gotten an Assassin to eat a healthy shrimp even when starved for 2 weeks now. None of us have said it can't happen we have stated that it is very unlikely until the actual capture is caught and recorded or the hunting and killing can be dupilicated there is just a lot of doubt. There are a lot of animal behaviors that we know exist today that started out by someone claiming they saw it and no one really believing it until one was documented enough times or filmed.

It takes people making a claim and someone making a concentrated effort to prove or disprove it to move science forward. That is what we are trying to do here at least some of us are, because we would like to prove or disprove your claim for the good of the hobby. As for myself I find it hard to believe from experience, but I have not said it is impossible.

On the same note there are those that will always believe there was another shooter on the grassy knoll, Santa is really watching you, or that Nessie is really there no matter how much evidence exist that such is not the case and that is their right to do so. Assassins are rather new in the hobby and there is probably still some we don't know, but as more people keep them and they become more common this gap between fact and belief shrinks until all we have left are facts. Some of what we claim as fact will probably change and some of the things we say are beliefs right now will probably become fact over time as we gain more knowledge.

So please keep the obsevations rolling in no matter how mundane of far fetched they seem. We can not experiment to prove or disprove unless we know what we are testing for.

@Ebichua - I for one thank you for bringing this up this has been an interesting disscussion and a great source of inspiration to keep studying these cool little snails. On a note I did have a large female Cherry go down and with in 10 minutes 3 assassins were on her and sucked her clean just as you described. Was kind of cool to watch, sucked out her insides like a kid with a choclate shake.:)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well I was just convinced my assassin was "assassinating" one of my RCS. I had just fed my fish and the shrimp was scavenging some of the food on the bottom. The snail was right around the area and quickly moved in. I saw the snail wrap its mouth?/slimmy head? around the shrimps feet. I grabbed my camera for evidence that the assassins really do attack the shrimp. This went on for about 15 minutes and I could see the piece of food still under the snails mouth. 15 minutes later the legs were loose, still very close to the snail, but the shrimp was still not swimming away. I thought he may be paralyzed by the snail, but when I poked him with a tweezers he moved around. I think they were just "eating from the same dish" LOL. Now the shrimp are dancing around the assassin.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts