The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Unless you actually see the snail attack, kill, and start eating the shrimp you just can't be sure. People say they have seen planaria or hydra eating their shrimp as well but I don't recall anyone who actually witnessed the whole thing. I saw one of my CRS grab a planaria that walked by and started picking at it while the planaria was trying to get away. I have seen my juvi shrimp walk right up to a hydra, when they touched it they jumped away but then they continued on their way apparently unharmed.

Assassin snails could be able to eat shrimp, the cone shell is a marine snail that feeds off healthy fish. Unless you witness it though you just can't be sure, of course just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Some snails, like the cone shell, have a harpoon like feeding device that it uses to spear the fish. The cone shell also has EXTREMELY potent poison so it kills the fish almost instantly before it can get away. If the assassin snails don't have a similar device I don't see how it would be able to actually catch and kill a shrimp before it would get away. I know they have a feeding arm but does anyone know if it can puncture anything? I have also not heard of any accounts of people saying that they are able to extend that feeding arm quickly enough to catch a shrimp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts