The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught one of my assassins eating one of my blue pearl shrimp a few minutes ago. It was pretty crazy. Too late to save the shrimp by the time I caught it. The snail had already wrapped its foot around the body. The blue pearls were all healthy so I'm sure it wasn't dead (I don't have that many, so I can easily keep track of all of them). In any case, I moved the assassin snail and he/she repositioned himself. I saw how they ate the shrimp. They have this long tube thing, longer than their sensing tube (reddish/brown color) and it basically injected itself inside the shrimp and sucked it inside out, similar to what they would do to a snail. Except this time, the "snail shell" was the shrimp's exoskeleton. Pretty interesting to see, though I was sadden by the sight :-(

I have kept the two with each other for about 2 months now, this is the first time I witnessed such a thing. I assume the assassins were just hungry and caught a shrimp as a last resort. I was running low on feeder snails in that tank, so it was my fault for not getting more. :-(

I do not have pics to show unfortunately. I was in too much awe to go bother getting the cam to get a decent pic. I was also afraid of moving the snail to get a better picture, he/she might release the shrimp. In any case, for those who say assassins won't eat shrimp, they will. I witnessed it. I will still keep assassins and shrimp together though. I think these occurrences can be avoided by ALWAYS having a snail supply for the assassins. Either way, it doesn't happen a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised too, the snail probably caught it and latched itself onto the shrimp before it realized it was being attacked. Because from what I saw, only the tail and the head was visible. The rest of the body was covered and being held by the snail's foot.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was really interesting because his body was literally cleaned out, minus the head. It still had the brains in it but the body was merely a shell. Similar to what you'd find with an old exo that was shed out. Except the head was still intact and filled with meat/brain. Creepy :s I guess either the tube didn't reach into that area or it just doesn't connect, so he'd have to poke a new hole. Which he didn't bother to do, because he left it. It might've been my fault for interrupting that though, because I moved him.

I fed the dead shrimp to my fish after the snail let go of it, haha.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure why people are still so skeptic about assassins eating healthy shrimp. There's a handful of people who have witnessed it already, I just did.

I am no shrimp amateur, so I know if my shrimp are healthy and/or old. I just got these guys 2-3 months ago as juvies, so there is no way they died of old age.

But... whatever, I'm not going to try and convince you all to stop keeping assassins and shrimp together. Heck, I'm still going to leave them together. I'm just saying that for those of you who honestly don't think an assassin snail can catch, kill and eat a shrimp, think again. It does not happen often, but it CAN happen. That's all I wanted to point out in this thread. To finally end the myth that assassins are absolutely 100% shrimp free. They're not, but your shrimp loss is so minute and rare that you can consider these "freak" accidents.
I don't have pictures or videos, so, am I going to try too hard and defend myself? Not really, I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you'd take my word. Though I'm not sure why I'd spend the time to "bad mouth" assassin snails. I love them :p I simply want to dispel the myth about them being harmless.

Again, I STILL keep the two together because I am aware that the chances of it happening again is low to none. I'm going to dump more snails in there to make sure they always have a food source this time. I still think they went for my shrimp due to the lack of snails for them to eat.

Kinda like the other night, one of my crystal reds grabbed one of my snowball babies and started eating it alive. I thought that was kinda scary too! Haha...

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have one Assassin in my 5 Gallon hex tank with 2 Amano Shrimp and a Otocat. It has been about 2 weeks and the since the tank has a serious snail problem the Assassin has not been fed. The only thing I observed is the Amano Shrimp tap dancing on the Assassin snail's shell. Lol, it is almost like the shrimp enjoy toying with the Assassin.

I have another 5 gallon with 1 Amano Shrimp, a Endler's Live Bearer, and a Dwarf Aquatic Frog. I chucked an Assasin in that tank. I noticed that it does feed on some of the frozen blood worms that I throw in for the Dwarf Aquatic Frog. So far the Amano Shrimp has not been attacked as near as I can see the Dwarf Frog still has all its limbs intact.

I also chucked an Assassin in a 10 gallon with 5 Amano Shrimp. It has been a few weeks, and I have noticed no missing Amanos.
Amanos are huge and are generally in no threat to many predators, including the snails. So I'm not and will not be surprised if the amanos live their lives perfectly fine.
However, I still stand by my word, with the fact that assassins do, can and WILL eat a healthy dwarf shrimp if the opportunity arises. Does this happen often? No, not at all. Almost never, hence why people almost never see it and take it hard to believe. Because of this, I will still be surprised if I hear another similar story to my own.

Shrimp, for the most part, are 99% safe with assassins. Just keep in mind that 1% chance.
Of course, not everyone will accept this belief that I carry. To each his own.
FYI, I keep my assassins with shrimp still, I know it's EXTREMELY rare for it to ever happen again to my colony. :fish:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts