The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
The blue pearls were all healthy so I'm sure it wasn't dead (I don't have that many, so I can easily keep track of all of them).
I've kept shrimps before and just because all your shrimps seem healthy does not mean there will never be any deaths or else your shrimps would be considered immortal.

Sometimes they die from age or unknown causes.

I've monitored my assassin snails lots of time and there were shrimps swarming around them. They seemed more bothered than anything and any shrimp that's too dumb to get away from a snail very gradually trying to advance on it is probably a shrimp that had it coming anyway :icon_roll.

Now if you can catch all of this on video of the snail catching the LIVE healthy shrimp and eating it while it's trying to escape, THEN you can use it as proof. For all we know the shrimp could have been dying or was already dead.

Only case I would think of the snail actually eating a shrimp would be:
1. The shrimp was already dead or was dying.
2. Read a post awhile back where a guy kept his assassins temporarily in a bag and released some shrimps to test it out and caught them eating it. However, for all we know, the shrimps could have died while in the bag and than be eaten or looking at it your way, it could have managed to somehow capture the shrimps due to the shrimps being unable to manuveur itself in the small bag. Since your shrimps and snails were in the tank, however, it's a bit hard to believe.

Well, got school tomorrow. See you guys later. Night.

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
for what it's worth, I believe you, and appreciate the heads up! something to look for. if there is one thing I have learned in this hobby, it is that nearly anything is possible... and with the assassin snail still being very new to the hobby, much of it's behavior is still being learned right now.

so again... thanks for the heads up, and I will watch for this in my assassins as well!

-Rich
If you look at it, there are no sides to this. We're not calling him a liar, we're just saying that unless you witness the whole thing from the very start and maybe somehow get some proof (video or at least some pics), than you can't expect it to be viewed upon as anything more than a rumor or myth.

So it's not about if his words are believable or not, he just needs proof to back it up.

And you're right, anything is possible, we're not saying it is impossible, but you need proof to backup your claim.

I've seen snails eating a dead/dying shrimp before, but I can't exactly say "the snails ganged up and hunted that shrimp down", the majority of them are scavengers, that's what they do.

To Ebichua

Hope you didn't get my text the wrong way, didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I would just like to see better proof is all. I'm very sure you were just trying to tell us what you saw as best as you can.

So if you ever get some proof to show to further backup your claim, it'll definately be worth watching and learning from, we're looking forward to it (not meaning your assassins eating your shrimps :hihi:)

Anyhow, the mailman is coming so I gotta get my package ready. Later guys.

My Harry Potter book collection didn't come yet :mad:.

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
I have witnessed this. Planaria and similar organisms (these snails included) are highly specialized.
Yeah, but referring back to the subject in question, these snails are not specialized in capturing shrimps. That's why it's hard to believe, especially without proof.
----------
What they do is similar to a spider, they inject the prey with venom, then suck out all the insides
Can you point to us an article that says this about the snails since you did say "these snails included". I never knew assassin snails were poisonous, especially one designed to immobilize creatures that are fast like shrimps?

------------
So guys open your eyes and stop being silly, carnivorous animals will eat prey animals end of story.
I would think asking for evidential proof is anything BUT being silly. Carnivorous animals will eat prey animals, but assassin snails are not designed to prey on live healthy shrimps or fish to begin with.

It's not the case of us not being open minded to what he said, its the case of needing better proof to backup the claim or else all you really got is a neat story at best.

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
@rich_one

I guess we ask for proof so much because if certain things are brought up all the time and there's no evidence to back it up and it is continously brought up without proof, people might misunderstand it and take it as a fact.

Yeah, it can happen. Me, southern and a few members here have questioned it for awhile and still wonder about it even till this day. Unproven information that's taken as facts can sometimes cause harm to the person that's misinterpreting it. I should know since I've made that mistake more times than I want to admit.

But I understand what you're saying. Proof isn't always easy to get. Ebihua is a nice guy and honestly, I'm mostly passive on this. Just have a good time on here lol, glad we can talk it out.

I'm gonna go watch Family Matters!!! Got every season! With my PC, TV is completely useless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts