The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not sure why people are still so skeptic about assassins eating healthy shrimp. There's a handful of people who have witnessed it already, I just did.

I am no shrimp amateur, so I know if my shrimp are healthy and/or old. I just got these guys 2-3 months ago as juvies, so there is no way they died of old age.

But... whatever, I'm not going to try and convince you all to stop keeping assassins and shrimp together. Heck, I'm still going to leave them together. I'm just saying that for those of you who honestly don't think an assassin snail can catch, kill and eat a shrimp, think again. It does not happen often, but it CAN happen. That's all I wanted to point out in this thread. To finally end the myth that assassins are absolutely 100% shrimp free. They're not, but your shrimp loss is so minute and rare that you can consider these "freak" accidents.
I don't have pictures or videos, so, am I going to try too hard and defend myself? Not really, I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you'd take my word. Though I'm not sure why I'd spend the time to "bad mouth" assassin snails. I love them :p I simply want to dispel the myth about them being harmless.

Again, I STILL keep the two together because I am aware that the chances of it happening again is low to none. I'm going to dump more snails in there to make sure they always have a food source this time. I still think they went for my shrimp due to the lack of snails for them to eat.

Kinda like the other night, one of my crystal reds grabbed one of my snowball babies and started eating it alive. I thought that was kinda scary too! Haha...
for what it's worth, I believe you, and appreciate the heads up! something to look for. if there is one thing I have learned in this hobby, it is that nearly anything is possible... and with the assassin snail still being very new to the hobby, much of it's behavior is still being learned right now.

so again... thanks for the heads up, and I will watch for this in my assassins as well!

-Rich

·
Registered
52 Posts
Natty, I understand what you are saying. I said what I said because in my opinion, this person feels like they saw something, and decided to share the information with us. I, for one, appreciate it, with or without "proof". things happen. sometimes you get lucky and can document it with a photo or video. other times, you cannot. when this person shared the information, most of the posts to follow were basically "prove it, otherwise, you probably didn't see what you think you saw". no problem with saying that... don't get me wrong. but I just wanted the person to know that "thanks, I'll watch for that behavior myself, I appreciate the info". that's all. I have been in this hobby a long time, and sometimes "proof" is overrated. different conditions in different tank environments can produce surprisingly different scenarios that defy basic rules all of the time. so be it. but this snail is very new to the hobby, and frankly, for me, it is no big stretch it can prey on a dwarf shrimp. sure the shrimps are fast... but if the shrimp do not realize the snail is a prey animal, maybe they are not looking to get away at first, and by the time they realize what is happening, it is too late?

either way, I am not saying anyone here is wrong. obviously, you all feel this person needs to have more proof. fine. I have no problem with that. I do not feel that way. if the person says they saw this behavior, I take it like I do with most info I get in this hobby, as something to note, and move forward. now, when I get my shrimp, I know to try to keep an eye out for this to see if I can confirm it. but even if I cannot, does not mean it didn't happen. the situation that the snail needs to catch a shrimp might only come up once every 10,000 days, for all I know. but that does not mean that when that one situation comes up, that it cannot happen.

so anyway... that's all I am saying. I am not saying anyone here said anything "mean" or whatever. I just, for one, do not require proof, to appreciate the information, in this particular case. that's all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@rich_one

I guess we ask for proof so much because if certain things are brought up all the time and there's no evidence to back it up and it is continously brought up without proof, people might misunderstand it and take it as a fact.

Yeah, it can happen. Me, southern and a few members here have questioned it for awhile and still wonder about it even till this day. Unproven information that's taken as facts can sometimes cause harm to the person that's misinterpreting it. I should know since I've made that mistake more times than I want to admit.

But I understand what you're saying. Proof isn't always easy to get. Ebihua is a nice guy and honestly, I'm mostly passive on this. Just have a good time on here lol, glad we can talk it out.

I'm gonna go watch Family Matters!!! Got every season! With my PC, TV is completely useless.
that is true, actually... I have seen the same thing with discus, and I have done some things to disprove many myths about them, that carried over from the early days of keeping wild caught discus. so yes... definitely proof is better than no proof... I certainly agree with that. but yeah... this is a very interesting conversation, and I have to say, I look forward to learning more about these assassins. I will certainly post things I learn about them here, but there is a very good account of some of their behavior up at another forum I can pm to you if you would like... I do not know what the policy is here regarding putting links to other forums, and do not want to violate any such policies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have close to 60 assassins in a tank with 100+ shrimp and have had for awhile now so if assassins ate shrimp I think I would have seen it by now, so you see why I'm finding it real hard to believe not impossible just hard to believe.

I had a large assassin snail die in the tank and the other assassins would not touch the body so to say they eat anything dead or alive that they can catch is not true either. Assassins are specailized scavenagers of meaty leftovers that have just happened to find out that they can catch snails. I have seen shrimp steal, climb on, ride on, and pick at the assassins and they just ingore them. I think if shrimp were a food source they would be a little bit more cautious or the assassins more aggressive.

But like a lot of stuff in this hobby both true and untrue proof is needed. Through out the years there have been a lot of untruths that still live today based on someone saying it is so and someone else running with it. I think today we question things more because we have learned so much in the last few years about our hobby that once we thought were gospel are really just someones point of view.
dude... your thread at the other forum is the one I am referring to... LOTS of great info in that one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well... I figure I should update this with my observations so far.

so far, I have not had any attack on my shrimp. in fact, I actually watched an assassin snail approach one of my shrimp, and the shrimp did not move, so the assassin simply changed direction. the shrimp in the tank with them are red cherries.

anyway, they have not been in too long together, so there is still more data I need to collect... so I am not saying they won't eat the shrimp... just saying the one I witnessed did not seem to have any interest in trying, and the shrimp did not appear to have any fear of being eaten by it.

-Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts