The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
A shrimp targeted would in theory have to be be moving at a snail's pace if the assassin had any chance of putting a hit on it and taking it down. Now, if the shrimp was sick and temporarily remaining motionless due to its illness, I could see it as being an easy target for the assassin. A dwarf aquatic frog is even faster than the assassin and I have kept shrimp and dwarf aquatic frogs together. Despite the frog's best efforts, it has never been able to corner and tackle the shrimp. But again if the shrimp were ill and too slow to respond due to its illness, I can see it becoming a meal for the frog.

I am not suggesting that the assassin would not put a hit on any shrimp that were too slow to respond to illness, but given the relative differences in speed between the assassin and the shrimp, I would be hard pressed to believe that an assassin could catch up to it and tackle a shrimp that was healthy and had all it senses and motor skills intact. Your shrimp had probably had succumbed to illness and was probably on borrowed time. Had the assassin not put a hit on it, it would likely have died a slow agonizing death. Consider it a mercy killing. Like putting a horse with a broken leg to pasteur and shooting it between the eyes to put it out of its misery.

Another explanation would be that if your shrimp got curious and got too close to the mouth of the assasin to see what was inside. This would be like crawling inside a open crocodile's jaw to see what was inside. Guaranteed that the crocodile will close its jaw in hurry and you would end up crocodile grub in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have one Assassin in my 5 Gallon hex tank with 2 Amano Shrimp and a Otocat. It has been about 2 weeks and the since the tank has a serious snail problem the Assassin has not been fed. The only thing I observed is the Amano Shrimp tap dancing on the Assassin snail's shell. Lol, it is almost like the shrimp enjoy toying with the Assassin.

I have another 5 gallon with 1 Amano Shrimp, a Endler's Live Bearer, and a Dwarf Aquatic Frog. I chucked an Assasin in that tank. I noticed that it does feed on some of the frozen blood worms that I throw in for the Dwarf Aquatic Frog. So far the Amano Shrimp has not been attacked as near as I can see the Dwarf Frog still has all its limbs intact.

I also chucked an Assassin in a 10 gallon with 5 Amano Shrimp. It has been a few weeks, and I have noticed no missing Amanos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts