The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught one of my assassins eating one of my blue pearl shrimp a few minutes ago. It was pretty crazy. Too late to save the shrimp by the time I caught it. The snail had already wrapped its foot around the body. The blue pearls were all healthy so I'm sure it wasn't dead (I don't have that many, so I can easily keep track of all of them). In any case, I moved the assassin snail and he/she repositioned himself. I saw how they ate the shrimp. They have this long tube thing, longer than their sensing tube (reddish/brown color) and it basically injected itself inside the shrimp and sucked it inside out, similar to what they would do to a snail. Except this time, the "snail shell" was the shrimp's exoskeleton. Pretty interesting to see, though I was sadden by the sight :-(

I have kept the two with each other for about 2 months now, this is the first time I witnessed such a thing. I assume the assassins were just hungry and caught a shrimp as a last resort. I was running low on feeder snails in that tank, so it was my fault for not getting more. :-(

I do not have pics to show unfortunately. I was in too much awe to go bother getting the cam to get a decent pic. I was also afraid of moving the snail to get a better picture, he/she might release the shrimp. In any case, for those who say assassins won't eat shrimp, they will. I witnessed it. I will still keep assassins and shrimp together though. I think these occurrences can be avoided by ALWAYS having a snail supply for the assassins. Either way, it doesn't happen a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised too, the snail probably caught it and latched itself onto the shrimp before it realized it was being attacked. Because from what I saw, only the tail and the head was visible. The rest of the body was covered and being held by the snail's foot.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I keep them with various shrimps including Blue tigers. I have yet to see this. All my shrimp tanks that have these snails have been reproducing like wildfire. Interesting... I will take note and observe.

I have had tanks with one or two dead adult shrimps but have yet to see an assasin snail scavenge on a dead shrimp body.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was really interesting because his body was literally cleaned out, minus the head. It still had the brains in it but the body was merely a shell. Similar to what you'd find with an old exo that was shed out. Except the head was still intact and filled with meat/brain. Creepy :s I guess either the tube didn't reach into that area or it just doesn't connect, so he'd have to poke a new hole. Which he didn't bother to do, because he left it. It might've been my fault for interrupting that though, because I moved him.

I fed the dead shrimp to my fish after the snail let go of it, haha.

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
The blue pearls were all healthy so I'm sure it wasn't dead (I don't have that many, so I can easily keep track of all of them).
I've kept shrimps before and just because all your shrimps seem healthy does not mean there will never be any deaths or else your shrimps would be considered immortal.

Sometimes they die from age or unknown causes.

I've monitored my assassin snails lots of time and there were shrimps swarming around them. They seemed more bothered than anything and any shrimp that's too dumb to get away from a snail very gradually trying to advance on it is probably a shrimp that had it coming anyway :icon_roll.

Now if you can catch all of this on video of the snail catching the LIVE healthy shrimp and eating it while it's trying to escape, THEN you can use it as proof. For all we know the shrimp could have been dying or was already dead.

Only case I would think of the snail actually eating a shrimp would be:
1. The shrimp was already dead or was dying.
2. Read a post awhile back where a guy kept his assassins temporarily in a bag and released some shrimps to test it out and caught them eating it. However, for all we know, the shrimps could have died while in the bag and than be eaten or looking at it your way, it could have managed to somehow capture the shrimps due to the shrimps being unable to manuveur itself in the small bag. Since your shrimps and snails were in the tank, however, it's a bit hard to believe.

Well, got school tomorrow. See you guys later. Night.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure why people are still so skeptic about assassins eating healthy shrimp. There's a handful of people who have witnessed it already, I just did.

I am no shrimp amateur, so I know if my shrimp are healthy and/or old. I just got these guys 2-3 months ago as juvies, so there is no way they died of old age.

But... whatever, I'm not going to try and convince you all to stop keeping assassins and shrimp together. Heck, I'm still going to leave them together. I'm just saying that for those of you who honestly don't think an assassin snail can catch, kill and eat a shrimp, think again. It does not happen often, but it CAN happen. That's all I wanted to point out in this thread. To finally end the myth that assassins are absolutely 100% shrimp free. They're not, but your shrimp loss is so minute and rare that you can consider these "freak" accidents.
I don't have pictures or videos, so, am I going to try too hard and defend myself? Not really, I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you'd take my word. Though I'm not sure why I'd spend the time to "bad mouth" assassin snails. I love them :p I simply want to dispel the myth about them being harmless.

Again, I STILL keep the two together because I am aware that the chances of it happening again is low to none. I'm going to dump more snails in there to make sure they always have a food source this time. I still think they went for my shrimp due to the lack of snails for them to eat.

Kinda like the other night, one of my crystal reds grabbed one of my snowball babies and started eating it alive. I thought that was kinda scary too! Haha...

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Unless you actually see the snail attack, kill, and start eating the shrimp you just can't be sure. People say they have seen planaria or hydra eating their shrimp as well but I don't recall anyone who actually witnessed the whole thing. I saw one of my CRS grab a planaria that walked by and started picking at it while the planaria was trying to get away. I have seen my juvi shrimp walk right up to a hydra, when they touched it they jumped away but then they continued on their way apparently unharmed.

Assassin snails could be able to eat shrimp, the cone shell is a marine snail that feeds off healthy fish. Unless you witness it though you just can't be sure, of course just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I happen to agree with most of the majority on this subject until someone actually sees the snail grab a healthy shrimp or it is recorded it I will find it hard to believe. Assassins by nature are actually scavenagers that have taken to hunting a prey that they can catch and is in ready supply. This probably happened due to enviromental crunches many 1000 of years back when for some reason either competition from a better scavenger or need to find a new food source one grabbed hold of a snail and found it to be a tasty treat.

All reports even yours no one has seen the snail actually grab a live healthy shrimp and capture it. So keep observing and keep recording anything that happens and one day we will lay this question to bed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not sure why people are still so skeptic about assassins eating healthy shrimp. There's a handful of people who have witnessed it already, I just did.

I am no shrimp amateur, so I know if my shrimp are healthy and/or old. I just got these guys 2-3 months ago as juvies, so there is no way they died of old age.

But... whatever, I'm not going to try and convince you all to stop keeping assassins and shrimp together. Heck, I'm still going to leave them together. I'm just saying that for those of you who honestly don't think an assassin snail can catch, kill and eat a shrimp, think again. It does not happen often, but it CAN happen. That's all I wanted to point out in this thread. To finally end the myth that assassins are absolutely 100% shrimp free. They're not, but your shrimp loss is so minute and rare that you can consider these "freak" accidents.
I don't have pictures or videos, so, am I going to try too hard and defend myself? Not really, I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you'd take my word. Though I'm not sure why I'd spend the time to "bad mouth" assassin snails. I love them :p I simply want to dispel the myth about them being harmless.

Again, I STILL keep the two together because I am aware that the chances of it happening again is low to none. I'm going to dump more snails in there to make sure they always have a food source this time. I still think they went for my shrimp due to the lack of snails for them to eat.

Kinda like the other night, one of my crystal reds grabbed one of my snowball babies and started eating it alive. I thought that was kinda scary too! Haha...
for what it's worth, I believe you, and appreciate the heads up! something to look for. if there is one thing I have learned in this hobby, it is that nearly anything is possible... and with the assassin snail still being very new to the hobby, much of it's behavior is still being learned right now.

so again... thanks for the heads up, and I will watch for this in my assassins as well!

-Rich

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Why is it so hard to believe that one of these assassin snails can kill a shrimp?
It is a 'predatory' snail. So there is a very good chance that it can catch and eat a dumb shrimp.

There is a comment also about hydra, I have seen hydra catch little shrimp and eat them. The hydra has to be large to do this. If not the shrimp will just touch it and jump and keep on it's business. And no, I do not have a video or pictures since I do not carry one every single time I look at my tanks.
:)

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
for what it's worth, I believe you, and appreciate the heads up! something to look for. if there is one thing I have learned in this hobby, it is that nearly anything is possible... and with the assassin snail still being very new to the hobby, much of it's behavior is still being learned right now.

so again... thanks for the heads up, and I will watch for this in my assassins as well!

-Rich
If you look at it, there are no sides to this. We're not calling him a liar, we're just saying that unless you witness the whole thing from the very start and maybe somehow get some proof (video or at least some pics), than you can't expect it to be viewed upon as anything more than a rumor or myth.

So it's not about if his words are believable or not, he just needs proof to back it up.

And you're right, anything is possible, we're not saying it is impossible, but you need proof to backup your claim.

I've seen snails eating a dead/dying shrimp before, but I can't exactly say "the snails ganged up and hunted that shrimp down", the majority of them are scavengers, that's what they do.

To Ebichua

Hope you didn't get my text the wrong way, didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I would just like to see better proof is all. I'm very sure you were just trying to tell us what you saw as best as you can.

So if you ever get some proof to show to further backup your claim, it'll definately be worth watching and learning from, we're looking forward to it (not meaning your assassins eating your shrimps :hihi:)

Anyhow, the mailman is coming so I gotta get my package ready. Later guys.

My Harry Potter book collection didn't come yet :mad:.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
A shrimp targeted would in theory have to be be moving at a snail's pace if the assassin had any chance of putting a hit on it and taking it down. Now, if the shrimp was sick and temporarily remaining motionless due to its illness, I could see it as being an easy target for the assassin. A dwarf aquatic frog is even faster than the assassin and I have kept shrimp and dwarf aquatic frogs together. Despite the frog's best efforts, it has never been able to corner and tackle the shrimp. But again if the shrimp were ill and too slow to respond due to its illness, I can see it becoming a meal for the frog.

I am not suggesting that the assassin would not put a hit on any shrimp that were too slow to respond to illness, but given the relative differences in speed between the assassin and the shrimp, I would be hard pressed to believe that an assassin could catch up to it and tackle a shrimp that was healthy and had all it senses and motor skills intact. Your shrimp had probably had succumbed to illness and was probably on borrowed time. Had the assassin not put a hit on it, it would likely have died a slow agonizing death. Consider it a mercy killing. Like putting a horse with a broken leg to pasteur and shooting it between the eyes to put it out of its misery.

Another explanation would be that if your shrimp got curious and got too close to the mouth of the assasin to see what was inside. This would be like crawling inside a open crocodile's jaw to see what was inside. Guaranteed that the crocodile will close its jaw in hurry and you would end up crocodile grub in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Some snails, like the cone shell, have a harpoon like feeding device that it uses to spear the fish. The cone shell also has EXTREMELY potent poison so it kills the fish almost instantly before it can get away. If the assassin snails don't have a similar device I don't see how it would be able to actually catch and kill a shrimp before it would get away. I know they have a feeding arm but does anyone know if it can puncture anything? I have also not heard of any accounts of people saying that they are able to extend that feeding arm quickly enough to catch a shrimp.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Unless you actually see the snail attack, kill, and start eating the shrimp you just can't be sure. People say they have seen planaria or hydra eating their shrimp as well but I don't recall anyone who actually witnessed the whole thing. I saw one of my CRS grab a planaria that walked by and started picking at it while the planaria was trying to get away. I have seen my juvi shrimp walk right up to a hydra, when they touched it they jumped away but then they continued on their way apparently unharmed.

Assassin snails could be able to eat shrimp, the cone shell is a marine snail that feeds off healthy fish. Unless you witness it though you just can't be sure, of course just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.
I have witnessed this. Planaria and similar organisms (these snails included) are highly specialized. For simple purposes I'll keep it simple. What they do is similar to a spider, they inject the prey with venom, then suck out all the insides. Planaria are even poisonous to touch for shrimp and if you notice they do jump away at the slightest touch of a planaria.

On the other side one of my CRS ATE a planaria's stomach. Now that was weird. It somehow sliced the end off and ate the stomach out:eek5:

So guys open your eyes and stop being silly, carnivorous animals will eat prey animals end of story.

-Andrew

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
I have witnessed this. Planaria and similar organisms (these snails included) are highly specialized.
Yeah, but referring back to the subject in question, these snails are not specialized in capturing shrimps. That's why it's hard to believe, especially without proof.
----------
What they do is similar to a spider, they inject the prey with venom, then suck out all the insides
Can you point to us an article that says this about the snails since you did say "these snails included". I never knew assassin snails were poisonous, especially one designed to immobilize creatures that are fast like shrimps?

------------
So guys open your eyes and stop being silly, carnivorous animals will eat prey animals end of story.
I would think asking for evidential proof is anything BUT being silly. Carnivorous animals will eat prey animals, but assassin snails are not designed to prey on live healthy shrimps or fish to begin with.

It's not the case of us not being open minded to what he said, its the case of needing better proof to backup the claim or else all you really got is a neat story at best.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Some snails, like the cone shell, have a harpoon like feeding device that it uses to spear the fish. The cone shell also has EXTREMELY potent poison so it kills the fish almost instantly before it can get away. If the assassin snails don't have a similar device I don't see how it would be able to actually catch and kill a shrimp before it would get away. I know they have a feeding arm but does anyone know if it can puncture anything? I have also not heard of any accounts of people saying that they are able to extend that feeding arm quickly enough to catch a shrimp.
They can not puncture anything they basically liquify with stomach acid or something similar but it is not a poision. If they caught a shrimp they would insert their tube thru a chink in the armor so to speak and work on it that way.

Planaria are even poisonous to touch for shrimp and if you notice they do jump away at the slightest touch of a planaria.
Wow love to see where you got that one because I have seen my shrimp touch, walkover, nibble at and down right ingore them.

Asking for proof and a confirmed report is not anything new nor to be unexpected. To say just because something is a predator it eats things so that is the way it is so deal with it is a little bit out there. I personally have never seen a Black Widow kill and eat a dog but according to your theory it does and we should just accept it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Natty, I understand what you are saying. I said what I said because in my opinion, this person feels like they saw something, and decided to share the information with us. I, for one, appreciate it, with or without "proof". things happen. sometimes you get lucky and can document it with a photo or video. other times, you cannot. when this person shared the information, most of the posts to follow were basically "prove it, otherwise, you probably didn't see what you think you saw". no problem with saying that... don't get me wrong. but I just wanted the person to know that "thanks, I'll watch for that behavior myself, I appreciate the info". that's all. I have been in this hobby a long time, and sometimes "proof" is overrated. different conditions in different tank environments can produce surprisingly different scenarios that defy basic rules all of the time. so be it. but this snail is very new to the hobby, and frankly, for me, it is no big stretch it can prey on a dwarf shrimp. sure the shrimps are fast... but if the shrimp do not realize the snail is a prey animal, maybe they are not looking to get away at first, and by the time they realize what is happening, it is too late?

either way, I am not saying anyone here is wrong. obviously, you all feel this person needs to have more proof. fine. I have no problem with that. I do not feel that way. if the person says they saw this behavior, I take it like I do with most info I get in this hobby, as something to note, and move forward. now, when I get my shrimp, I know to try to keep an eye out for this to see if I can confirm it. but even if I cannot, does not mean it didn't happen. the situation that the snail needs to catch a shrimp might only come up once every 10,000 days, for all I know. but that does not mean that when that one situation comes up, that it cannot happen.

so anyway... that's all I am saying. I am not saying anyone here said anything "mean" or whatever. I just, for one, do not require proof, to appreciate the information, in this particular case. that's all.

·
Banned
4,111 Posts
@rich_one

I guess we ask for proof so much because if certain things are brought up all the time and there's no evidence to back it up and it is continously brought up without proof, people might misunderstand it and take it as a fact.

Yeah, it can happen. Me, southern and a few members here have questioned it for awhile and still wonder about it even till this day. Unproven information that's taken as facts can sometimes cause harm to the person that's misinterpreting it. I should know since I've made that mistake more times than I want to admit.

But I understand what you're saying. Proof isn't always easy to get. Ebihua is a nice guy and honestly, I'm mostly passive on this. Just have a good time on here lol, glad we can talk it out.

I'm gonna go watch Family Matters!!! Got every season! With my PC, TV is completely useless.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.