The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever bread assassin snails? I just picked up 2 for my 75g since the only thing in there now is plants and snails. In 2 days, I have watched so many kills. They really do what they say they do. The reason why I only picked up 2 is because I wanted a balance. I want some snail, just not too many. Believe it or not, 2 assassin snails ate at least 20 snails each in a few days. They are crazy! Two part question... If these 2 snails eat all the other snails, what do I feed them to keep them alive? Second question..... Do the breed in planted tanks successfully?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Two part question... If these 2 snails eat all the other snails, what do I feed them to keep them alive? Second question..... Do the breed in planted tanks successfully?
1) If there is no snail to eat, they 'll eat most fish food, possibly worms and dead fish.
2)They do in my case, i have many young snails right now.
I don't think they can get rid of all snails, especially pond snails but they keep the population under control..
you need male and female assassin snail if you want to breed them, also provide a driftwood and you'll see many single eggs scattered over it.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) If there is no snail to eat, they 'll eat most fish food, possibly worms and dead fish.
2)They do in my case, i have many young snails right now.
I don't think they can get rid of all snails, especially pond snails but they keep the population under control..
you need male and female assassing snail if you want to breed them, also provide a driftwood and you'll see many single eggs scattered over it.

Thanks for the reply. I am not worried about them eating all of the snails.... I just want the population under control. Two assassin snails are doing that now! I do see about 30 egg sacks from other snails now so I know they will have plenty to eat soon. I was just curious about breeding...

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I watched a slow motion chase today. A snail chasing a snail! it was funny as hell! It only lasted 2mins or so but man, I might have to turn it into a chase scene with back round music.....

·
Registered
907 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.