The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The giant rams horns also have laid 2 batches of eggs. The bladder snails are disappearing and being replaced by Snell rams horns. Luckily those are a five of the assassin snails. For some reason they haven't touched the MTS but I like those guys. There are literally dozens of assassin eggs all over the filter and even more in the roots of the java fern. Anyone know how long till they hatch? The oldest eggs are 3 weeks old.

Sent using voodoo through my phone to your retinas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The giant rams horns also have laid 2 batches of eggs. The bladder snails are disappearing and being replaced by Snell rams horns. Luckily those are a five of the assassin snails. For some reason they haven't touched the MTS but I like those guys. There are literally dozens of assassin eggs all over the filter and even more in the roots of the java fern. Anyone know how long till they hatch? The oldest eggs are 3 weeks old.

couldn't tell you how long the eggs take to hatch but if your looking to get rid of some when they do I'm always looking for a couple more assassins

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just noticed around 8 more eggs on the heater clip and rubber end. Also found another clump of GRH eggs. Plus the MTS are breeding prolifically. Gonna have to do a snail RAOK in the near future.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just noticed around 8 more eggs on the heater clip and rubber end. Also found another clump of GRH eggs. Plus the MTS are breeding prolifically. Gonna have to do a snail RAOK in the near future.

i notice assassin lay egg pretty much all the time in my tank...

got tons of baby assassin now almost to a good size..1/8-1/4"....some are a bit smaller...they growing fast

the eggs will hatch but you won't see any baby until they grow a bit

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome! My tank is at 76° and have eggs from 3 weeks and 2 weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if temp affects hatching times.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yeah I started out with 5 assassins now I can count 63. That isn't including the ones buried in the sand. Once you run out of live food they'll stop laying eggs, or at least mine did. I have another tank full of mts, once I set up my 29 gallon and move the assassins and shrimp over there I'll start feeding them again.

·
Registered
354 Posts
MY experience is that they take months to hatch.

I bought a pair of them last September and within days I had dozens of eggs. It's only recently that the eggs have been disappearing. I've seen a few empty egg sacs too. I have yet to see any baby snails though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a fairly large assassin snail bloom. Tons and tons of empty non-assassin snail shells means they did their job. But now they're becoming the pest! Lol. My gf says they're constantly ontop of each other.

I hear they can go for a decent amount though?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was given one assassin snail, and it must have been a pregnant female, because within a month (approx.) of getting it, I saw the first pinhead sized baby. Now I have at least a dozen 1/8-1/4" assassin snails. I find the really tiny babies blend with the sand and are nearly impossible to see unless they sit on a white rock or light green leaf. Also, I no longer have a pond snail problem and am actually thinking of importing some to keep the assassins fed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Will a pond snail problem turn into an assassin snail problem?
I dont think they breed in the numbers that pond snails do but I'm sure if you dont do population control they could over a long period but you'd have to completely neglect you tank I think

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what I heard they won't. From most accounts online it seems they stop mating when the food supply runs low. The local PetSmart their tanks are riddled with MTS. I swing by once a month to pick up snails. One of the girls always has a bag ready for me. Think the girl likes me, she always chats me up and knows when I come in and expectantly having the snails ready. She is really cute but 10 years younger lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.